18. opening night

eighteen,
opening night

        FOR THE PAST two weeks, Phoebe had distanced herself from everyone

FOR THE PAST two weeks, Phoebe had distanced herself from everyone. Everything with Ricky was too awkward now and she couldn't look at Nini without feeling extremely guilty. She also had no energy to talk to anyone and barely even made it through rehearsal.

But it was here. Opening night had finally arrived.

Phoebe was a mess.

It was her first lead ever, and everyone was counting on her. Not only that, but a judge for the Menkies was there. If she wasn't perfect, everybody else would suffer.

That was a lot of pressure.

"A little note for good luck," Nini laid a card in front of her.

"Thanks, Nini," Phoebe smiled at her.

Nini stayed there and leaned against the table. "Hey, are you okay?"

No. Putting everything in her personal life aside, they'd gone to watch North High's performance last night. As much as Phoebe hated Lily, she had to admit that the girl was crazy talented.

"I think I might throw up," Phoebe answered. "But other than that, I think so."

"You'll be fine, Bee," Nini reassured her. "You're one of the most talented people I know. Don't sweat it, okay?"

Phoebe nodded. "Okay."

She went back to reading over her lines, but kept getting distracting by the two a few feet away from her. Clara had heard EJ ask Gina out on a date - for Risotto, might Phoebe add - which was tonight, after the after-party.

Phoebe huffed and grabbed her script, walking out into the hallway. She paced back and forth, trying to calm herself down. She was angry, she was nervous, she was hurt. She was too many things at once that she just wanted to scream.

"Phoebe," Miss Jenn stopped her. "Talk to me."

"I'm sorry, Miss Jenn," Phoebe apologized, and the drama teacher's face fell. "Oh, no, I'm not quitting or anything." She didn't really have that option anyways. After High School Musical, Miss Jenn decided to not give them any understudies. So, when Ricky hurt his hand (thankfully she had gotten out of the way before he fell on her), he was screwed. "I'm just nervous."

"I understand," Miss Jenn said. "You're going to be amazing. Come on, we have half an hour." She led Phoebe back into the dressing room. "Wildcats! Villagers. My friends and allies. As you know, there is a judge out there in the audience tonight who is very important to the future of the theater program. He is going to score every performance, our music, our sets, Lord help us, even me. And in two weeks at the Menkies, we could win $50,000."