Familiar (Unfriendly) Faces

Start from the beginning

She sat up, Finn followed her movements, and when they were sitting opposite of one another Millie held his face in both her hands.

"I'm sorry I have to go, but I'll be back. You know that right?"

Finn frowned, "This time."

"What do you mean?"

"Don't pretend Millie. We both know you have to leave eventually and you won't come back. You'll get married and I'll never see you again."

"Well right now it looks that way but I'm-"

"You're what? Trying to find a way out of it?" Finn's tone became sharp.

Millie gaped at him. She had only let Sadie know that because she didn't want to feed Finn false hope.

"Yeah I know you're trying to get out of the contract. Caleb mentioned it in conversation earlier. I'm assuming you told Sadie and she told Caleb. He must have thought I knew, but funny enough no one bothered to tell me." Finn pushed Millie's hands off his face.

"I— I just didn't want to give you any false hopes... I'm sorry."

"Well that doesn't matter because I don't have any to begin with." Finn looked down wanting to avoid her gaze.

It was quiet for a long minute, Millie decided to break the silence first.

"Well I do."

His head shot up to look at her properly, "What?"

"I have hope." Millie spoke the words as if she actually believed them, maybe she did. She took Finn's hands and held them in her own.

"I have hope we will find a way because the alternative thought is to scary and depressing to think about so I'm choosing to have hope Finn. It's hope for us, hope that I can find a way to leave that life behind and start a new one."

She looked for any sort of reaction in his features, but Finn's eyes remained sullen looking and his stare blank.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you Finn, I know I should have considering this involves you now too."

She watched him, waiting, wanting him to say something. Finally, he did.

"You promise to be honest with me from now on? About all of it, no more fighting this alone."

Millie nodded quickly. "I promise, no more fighting it alone," and she meant it.

"You really think you can find a way?..." The sternness of his voice faded again, and Finn tried not to let her hear how scared he was, but Millie always knew. She could read him like her favorite book.

"I think we have a chance even if it's small with Lilia on our side." Millie smiled. Lilia never was one to give up on something.

Millie leaned forward and pressed her lips against his. Finn didn't kiss back right away, so she kissed him harder wanting to show him how much she cared for him, how much she would rather stay here instead of going to London.

Eventually Finn did respond with equal force, this kiss between them was passion driven and gentle at the same time. He wanted to show her how much he loved her, to make her understand he really did love her.