PART 5

Just as planned and promised by Avni, she showed up before dark. Neil had already gotten all the things ready so all she had to do was the cooking. She decided to make paella which was classic enough, not that difficult to make and sounded serious as well. She also brought a bottle of wine just in case Neil messed it up, which he probably couldn't because technically his refrigerator was stacked with alcohol and food from outside.

All this while when Avni was busy cooking in his kitchen, Neil stood there even though it wasn't needed. And at one point she literally asked him to get the hell out of her way and stop annoying her but he still continued to do so. They talked and joked about general things and Neil wondered if he ever had that kind of comfort and friendliness with anybody else. Maybe that was the thing, that they were friends first. They had already crossed that part where two people are closed up, awkward and obligated to one another. There was a certain type of freedom in Avni's company, only because he knew he could talk about anything and she wouldn't be offended.

After the cooking Avni put everything in the microwave so he could heat it whenever needed. She then came outside to the porch where he was sitting on the steps of his entrance with two bottles of beer.

Avni: I'm done. Anything else?

He looked back up at her and smiled.

Neil: Yes. Come have a drink with me.

Avni: You have a date. Ready nahi hona?

Neil just shrugged and offered her the other bottle of beer.

Neil: Main ready hi hoon. Come, sit.

She didn't yet so he said before she could say anything else.

NEIL: Yahin se aaegi na? Jab aaegi toh chali jana. Tab tak toh baitho..

Avni sighed and got seated next to him. He handed her the beer and clinked the neck of his bottle with hers, saying.

NEIL: Cheers! And thank you for today. Neighbour!

She smiled.

Avni: Well you're always welcome, neighbour!

Then they drank in silence until he asked.

Neil: Tommy kahan hai?

Avni: Ghar par.

She had a look at her porch which was illuminated with a tiny light bulb.

Avni: Koi awaz nahi aa rahi. Must have slept.

NEIL: Good dog.

Avni acknowledged.

Avni: He is a good dog.

NEIL: Yes, I saw this afternoon.

She nudged him with her shoulder slightly.

Avni: Hey!! Wo bohot acha hai. I don't know what happened today.

NEIL: Are you sure, he wasn't running behind a sexy chic?

She shook her head in disbelief.

Avni: No. He's not you!

NEIL looked back at her.

NEIL: Very funny.

She looked away and laughed softly, slowly taking a few gulps of beer down her throat.

Avni: Acha ek baat batao..

NEIL already prepared to answer away by shifting further close to her as she turned to him again.

Avni: Why do you keep doing this?

Neil: Doing what?

Avni: Yahi, going out with girls that don't last for even a month?

He sighed and continued to look at her as she went on.

Avni: I mean, why this dinner when you're not even into her?

Neil: It's healthy. Casual dating..

I will not post from now because of mine exams
Thanks