14. subtle, but public

fourteen,
subtle, but public

        PHOEBE WAS GOING to be completely honest, she was pissed

PHOEBE WAS GOING to be completely honest, she was pissed. While she was having a hard time dealing with everything, wondering if she'd made the right decision in calling for a break, EJ was hanging out with Gina.

        She knew it wasn't a break up, but their break had definitely taken a toll on her. And with extreme writers block that meant she couldn't clear her head, she was basically a zombie. 

        She'd been living in her Caswell hoodie and sweatpants. The only reason she'd changed out of the hoodie and into a plain black one was because Miss Jenn wanted them all to meet on Zoom.

She sat in front of her computer, staring at herself in camera preview. She forced a couple of smiles and frowned when she realized they all looked, well, forced. Finally, she clicked join without video.

"Phoebe, hello," Miss Jenn greeted. "Oh — why is your screen blank?"

        "She has her camera off, Miss Jenn," Nini explained. "Hey, Bee."

        Phoebe unmuted herself. "Hey."

        "How's your spring break going?" Miss Jenn wondered.

        "Um. . ." Phoebe looked down at her lap and swallowed. "It's going good. Yeah. I'm spending the week with my mom."

        "Good," Miss Jenn smiled.

        Carlos popped up on screen. "Hola, madrina. Hola, Nini. Hola, Phoebe."

        "Hello," Miss Jenn sang as Seb joined the meeting. "Oh — hi, kids. So, wai — are you spending the break apart?"

        "I did invite him to a four star resort with my family in Los Cabos," Carlos answered.

        "And I told him Milky White was nearing labor," Seb responded. "Cows don't stop having babies just because school let out."

        "Yet somehow, you're having a cow about me not staying in Salt Lake, so. . ." Carlos trailed off.

        "Hello, theater people," Clara waved. The redhead was in California with her family for spring break. She'd invited Phoebe to go with them, but the brunette declined.

        "Wassup?" Ashlyn and EJ exclaimed when they joined.

        "Sorry," Ashlyn laughed. "Our parents all went to Park City together and left us to watch the house. We've been steaming old movies."

        EJ joined the call on his own computer. "Yeah. Watched Scary Movie last night. Ah! What a classic."

        Seb tilted his head. "Never heard of it."