11. dance with the enemy

eleven,
dance with the enemy

        CARLOS HAD EVERYONE meet up at North High after school, claiming he had come up with an idea on how to get their mask back

        CARLOS HAD EVERYONE meet up at North High after school, claiming he had come up with an idea on how to get their mask back. "The plan is simple. Based on that Instagram post, the mask has to be in their costume shop. We know from their Instagram overshares that North High has dance rehearsal today, so they'll be in their dance studio."

        Gina's eyes widened. "They have their own dance studio?"

        Carlos ignored her. "We're raiding their costumes and not leaving until we have our mask."

        Clara held up a finger. "Hold up, Crazytown, what do we do if North High doesn't actually have our mask?"

        "Then we might be arrested for trespassing," Carlos answered. "But it'll be fine. There'll be plenty of people still here after school for clubs. We'll blend in. Though, Ashlyn, you may have taken the camouflage thing too far."

        Ashlyn was wearing a yellow North High Hornets hoodie. "No, today, I am Diane," the girl announced. "I play volleyball, and I love North High."

        "Diane, is it?" Big Red chuckled. "How would you feel about dating a guy from East High."

        Ashlyn gasped. "Oh, a forbidden romance."

        "Focus," Carlos scolded. "Who's gonna be the lookout?"

        "I'll do it," Gina volunteered. "If you leave me unsupervised with their costumes, I cannot promise I won't go all Gina 1.0 in there."

        "Just stay calm and act natural," Carlos instructed. "Okay? You got this. Everyone ready?"

        Ricky held his hand out. "What team?"

        "Wait, maybe we shouldn't yell—" Carlos began as everyone put their hands together.

        "Wildcats!" they cut him off.

        "Oh my God, we're going to get arrested," Clara shook her head, turning away from the others.

        Phoebe linked arms with Clara and held EJ's hand as Carlos led them to North High's costume shop. When they got to the costume shop, they each separated onto different racks.

        "I'm gonna go check up on Gina," EJ told Phoebe. "I don't like that we're leaving her alone out there."

        Phoebe furrowed her brows. "But she volunteered."

        "I know, I just feel bad," EJ kissed her cheek before he walked out of the room.

        Phoebe shook her head and continued searching. She understood feeling bad about leaving the girl alone, but Gina could handle herself. She'd done it for years.