07. quinceañero

seven,
quinceañero

        PHOEBE HAD TO admit, she was amazed when she saw Seb's barn

        PHOEBE HAD TO admit, she was amazed when she saw Seb's barn. She knew that the drama club would manage to pull something off, but she didn't expect them to make it look so beautiful with such short notice. After helping EJ set up the camera, Clara had gotten to the barn. Together, the girls went to go see what they could help with.

        Everyone slowly arrived and then it was time for Carlos. "Open the doors!" came Ricky and EJ's cue from Seb. Together, the two boys did as told, revealing Carlos with his boyfriend.

"Happy birthday, Carlos!" the group of people shouted.

"Wait," Carlos protested. "This can't be happening."

"It is," Seb told him.

"I'm not wearing a party outfit!"

"We got you covered," Seb reassured him.

Carlos got his outfit and quickly changed. When he came back, Nini and Ricky got on stage. "Hey everyone!" Nini started. "I think you kinda, you know. . ."

"It's Carlos's quinceañero," Ricky finished. "Gina, get on up here. Gina, everybody!"

"Whoo, Gina!" Nini cheered as Gina walked on stage in a skirt and a very bedazzled jacket.

"Testing, testing," Gina tapped the microphone out her headset. "Hello. Carlos Rodriquez, we, um, haven't always seen eye-to-eye when it comes to running rehearsal and. . . honestly, I sorta had no idea what to get you tonight. And then Sebby showed me that clip of you in seventh grade dancing. I was like oh, okay, so we're actually the exact same. Because I remember where I was in seventh grade or, uh, all of the places that I was that year. And I would just dance and dance alone in my bedroom to stay busy and escape. But the difference between us is, I never would have put that out into the world and I never would have left that up on Instagram after some of the comments you got. . . haters gonna hate. Anyways, um, tonight I'm recreating your dance. Because we might not share a choreography brain, but I think you know we share a dancer heart. No matter what happens tomorrow, or the day after that, we just keep on dancing." Gina walked over to the string and pulled it, letting the sheet fall down. "Roll the tape."

EJ did as told and turned the projector on, showing the video of Carlos. "Hello, world," young Carlos greeted the camera. "This is a time capsule because someday I hope I am studied. It is almost my 13th birthday, and in some cultures that makes me a man. As a man, I demand the following gifts for my birthday. A new phone, a Tony award, and someday, I'm putting this out there early, a quinceañero. Now, please enjoy this dance I made up. It is on fleek."