06. one of the good guys

six,
one of the good guys

        PHOEBE GRIPPED CLARA's hand as they walked through Seb's barn, shining a flashlight so they could see where they were going

PHOEBE GRIPPED CLARA's hand as they walked through Seb's barn, shining a flashlight so they could see where they were going. Gina had texted the whole drama club (minus Carlos and Miss Jenn) to meet them at Seb's.

        "Why do I hear sheep but don't see sheep?" Ashlyn questioned.

        "Oh, that's Jimmy," Seb replied. "He has social anxiety."

        "Well, I'm team Jimmy," Kourtney stated. "I don't camp. I don't glamp. I don't even sleep without a silk pillow case."

        EJ jumped when a sheep bleated. Clara snorted. "You are pathetic."

        Things had been tense between Phoebe and EJ. She'd been trying to give him space, but it had been two weeks and they'd barely spoken a word to each other.

"Listen, I'm sure Seb and Gina have a good reason for bringing us to his barn so late. . . on a school night," Ricky looked over at his girlfriend. "Not that I mind the romantic setting."

"Nini," Phoebe shook her head. "He thinks this is romantic. You need to break up with him right now."

Ricky playfully narrowed his eyes at her while Nini chuckled. "Romantic is debatable, but I like where you're headed."

"Okay, so, we gathered you guys here tonight 'cause I've got this idea," Gina told them. "And because we only have 48 hours to pull it off, it gonna take all of us."

"The whole family," Seb added.

        "Aww," Nini cooed. "You guys."

        "So, I talked to Gina and we thought we could throw a big surprise party to celebrate the guy Carlos is," Seb explained.

        "And the quinceañero he always wanted and never got," Gina went on. "It's a birthday party but seriously zhuzhed up. 'Cause Carlos is one of the good guys."

        "Okay, somebody say something because maybe this is a terrible idea?" Seb fretted.

        "It's not," Phoebe reassured him. "It's brilliant, I'm totally in."

        "Me too," Nini agreed.

"Same," Clara smiled at Seb.

Everyone's voices began to overlap as they talked about how excited they were.

        "For Carlos," Ricky put his hand out.

        "For Carlos," the group repeated, placing their hands on top of his.