Chapter 1: The Chance Encounter with the Other Rich Man's Daughter

Start from the beginning

Swipe.

Maria Patricia Lumaban, 25.

Pat or Patpat for short. Writer. Dreamer. Mama's girl.  Dog lover. Politics are on the liberal side. Anti- trapo. Feminist. Teleserye junkie. Marvel fanatic. Eclectic taste in music.

Longs for:  An enthralling connection

Longs for:  An enthralling connection. A chance encounter that will make me realize that it all makes sense and I can finally understand the records from the 70s with their saccharine lyrics.

Currently Watching: Killing Eve

Currently Listening to: Mamamoo and David Cassidy

I cannot: cook.  huhuhuhuhu! teach me!

She plastered photos of her holding on to her dog, Solar- a pudgy brown Aspin.  Some of the photos have her partying in Nectar on her birthday.  She wore a black crop top and was one of the rare times she wore makeup.  Her red matte lipstick sprawled widely forming a smile on her lips.

Another photo was of her hanging out at an old cafe as she tried playing the guitar.

And her last photo is a selfie in her car,  wide-eyed with the sunlight beaming on her rose-tinted face and brown skin.

She types in rapidly on her phone as she fills out more questions in her profile.  She is trying a dating app called "How About We".

In her whole life, she has never joined a dating app.

Well, Patricia Lumaban is not the type to date.  One can say —- she has had a few relationships or more like situationships with some guys in her college.

The type that will last 2 months with maybe an awkward kiss and before she knows it they have already dumped her for a new girlfriend.

Not that it even made her cry.

It just made her feel inadequate.

Not that she particularly enjoyed dating.  She felt obligated every time a young man with rimmed glasses in her batch brought flowers and chocolates —- she felt she had to at least entertain them.

"Minsan ka lang magka manliligaw," her mom will say.

"'Wag ka ng mapili".

But she always had a hard time connecting with anyone.

Every time she tried to kiss them it all felt like a task. They always looked like they were taking doses of sleeping pills when she tried to make conversations with them.

Dating is hard for Pat.  Hindi natural.  She always wondered why all her friends, all fell so hard and so fast.

While for her, she counts how long she has to kiss Carlo from church or Anthony from her Mass Comm batch.