Snippets from the Tale and Fairy Realm Lexicon

For many fairy talers it’s nothing unusual when a princess communicates with woodland creatures, particularly with birds but they find it a bit odd when a prince possesses such an ability. However the male rulers of Huang kingdom are famous for listening, and sometimes talking, to their treasured winged friends. What’s even more interesting, they prefer only a certain kind of birds. Their national animal is the nightingale.

The Realm of fairies, pixies and Fair Folk in general exists parallel to other worlds inhabited with fairy tales. The elves and sprites are distant beings, preferring to live undisturbed in their secluded world but they sometimes reveal themselves to a mortal in order to grant a wish or pull a prank on their unwitting victim.

 There are known cases when the Fair folk granted someone magical abilities either for a limited time or until the blessed one’s death. Those cases usually revolve a magical ritual or, and that’s even more often, a mock ritual. The fairy or elf in question tells a human to do something silly the being just came up with in order to receive a wish. Those mock rituals may involve dressing in women clothes, running naked around the village or living as a sheep for a month.

As the human cultures were changing some tales were forgotten and diminished out of existence and new ones came to take their place. Some remained and even inspired the creation of similar but not quite the same stories. Those altered stories provided room for new settlers and this lead to the until then taleless offspring of the myths and other characters to seek new homes for themselves. One of those new born worlds was the world of fairy tales.

 ᴥ

Like majority of the most famous fairy talers, the first protagonists of the The Beauty and the Beast tale were the direct descendants of the myths, the story about Cupid and Psyche. A beautiful girl is forced to spend time with an ugly creature which later turns out to be a handsome man.

Snippets from the Tale and Fairy Realm Lexicon, volumes II and V written by Milton and Giles Grimm