iii. auditions and confrontations

Start from the beginning

"Well, excuse me, Armie Hammer just called he wants his jawline back!" Ms. Jenn exclaimed, earning awkward silence which was soon interrupted by Josie letting out a laugh.

"Sorry," Ms. Jenn smiled at the girl turning back to front.

"We're moving onto the Gabriellas." She clapped her hands. Reece had also been right about the fact that Gina would play an amazing Gabriella. She had an amazing voice and was sure to outshine the other girls.

Reece was currently backstage, along with the Gabriellas, Kelsi, and company. She paced back and further struggling to remain calm and not throw up. "You'll be fine." Josie comforted her, "We practiced all night and morning. You're going to be the best Kelsi there."

That calmed her nerves down a bit, not a lot but enough to not feel like shit.

"And if anything, I got you a bucket." She lifted a white floral trashcan.

Reece laughed, "Thanks, Josie, but I think I'm ok, for now at least."

"Well, it's here just in case."

As the two watched Gina's performance they couldn't help but overhear EJ and Nini. "You've got this," EJ said to his girlfriend.

"I really appreciate..." She spoke in a British accent. "Oh my God! I'm doing it again."

"Yeah, you are. You're a total weirdo." Nini laughed at his words, "And a hundred percent real."

Reece's breath hitched but it wasn't because that's similar to what he'd say to her every time she got nervous but it was what he said next. It caught her off guard because he had never said it to her in the 7 months they'd dated but he did to the girl only met 2 months ago. The four letter word that made her sick to her stomach to hear him say to her.

"I think I'm going to need that bucket now."

♪♫  ♫♪

Reece faded out the rest of Gina's performance. She knew if she thought too much she'd actually throw up this time. A loud bang brought her back to reality, "Am I too late? Am I too late?" Someone called out running into the auditorium. Everyone turned around to see Ricky Bowen running in with a guitar.

"We're all set on Troys. We're low on Chads." Ms. Jenn told the boy. "You can read after the..." She looked down at her papers "Kelsi's, who are right after Nini."

"I only studied the Troy scenes in the movie." He explained out of breath.

"Troy would have arrived on time," Carlos stated.

"No, he wouldn't have," Reece said to herself.

"Anyways, Nini, let's try this again."

"You got this, babe! Whoo!" EJ exclaimed causing Ms. Jenn to spill her coffee all over the light controls. Everything went dark.

"Nobody panic! Nini, let's wait for the lights to come back on. I don't want this to throw you." Carlos and Ms. Jenn started to clean up the mess.

"I'm not thrown," she stated confidently. "Livin' in my own world, didn't understand. That anything could happen when you take a chance." Ricky turned on his phone flashlight towards Nini as did EJ.

"They're competing to be the better boyfriend," Josie whispered to Reece; she rolled her eyes at the interaction.

Once Nini had finished her song the lights had turned back on, "Thank God, the whole flashlight thing was weird." Josie said.

"Okay, well, thank you, Nini. I only needed 32 bars, but I appreciate your commitment." Carlos gave the girl a quick thumbs up.

"Alright, Reece, you're up. Time for the Kelsi's." Josie gave Reece's hand a tight squeeze of reassurance before she made her way to the stage. "Tell me about her."