Chapter 02: Sea

Chicken, Calculus, and Every C in Between

"See you tomorrow, Ren!" Lucas waved at me as I waved back. He climbed into Bea's car and drove away, didn't bother to join the euphoria of our win. Still, I felt proud that Bea stayed until the end of the game. It was an achievement itself.

Lucas and Bea are my childhood friends. They're almost always together. The first time I met them in fifth grade, I thought they're dating. They told me they're just cousins and lived together.

Walking amongst the crowd, I headed to where my sister parked the car. Then, I just leaned on the car in the parking lot, waiting for my siblings. There were many unfamiliar faces, those who are not from our school. But I also spot those from another club, who often have matches with our school. This game drew a lot of attention.

As my eye wandered, I noticed a certain man. The blond hair man that I saw across the field. He seemed to notice my gaze as he turned and stared back at me.

This warm sensation crawled back, a sense of longing.

I could see his surprise and confusion, also a hint of disgust in his eyes. Yet, at the same time he looked sad? And conflicted, very doubtful. I'm confused.

"Ren!" A voice called me and an arm landed on my shoulder. Someone gave me a light peck on the cheek. "Good game, Rey," I smiled at my brother who appeared as he put his big bag on the ground.
Rey always shows his affection with action. It is normal seeing him kissing someone.
"The opponent is tough. I wonder why they didn't join the tournament," he looked disappointed. "They don't?"
"Nah, it's just a friendly match,"  he started to lean on me. Didn't he realize the difference in our build? He's heavy. I answered with a nod.
"Where's Gina?" Rey asked.
At that time, our sister appeared as she said goodbye to her friends and headed towards us.
"Poor game, Rey. You're having too much fun and making too many mistakes!" Gina scolded her twins as soon as she reached us.
He was? I thought Rey still gave his best.
"You notice?" Rey only smiled and chuckled. "Of course! It was so obvious," she said as she unlocked the car and climbed into the driver seat.

I silently climbed to the passenger seat at the front while Rey entered the back row.
"I'll tell uncle that you can't even be serious in this trivial game. He's coming next week," Gina said as he started the engine and drove the car out. "Wait, don't! He would increase my training time," Rey begged.
"Then be serious!" Gina said. "It would be annoying to lose at them."
"Well, there's so many of them and I'm alone. Besides, I'm actually winning without giving my best," Rey becomes cocky.

Weird.

"You guys know them?" I interrupted their bickering. At that moment it almost felt like they just remembered I was there.
"Well, it would sucks to lose to a newbie, right? Haha," Gina said. "I promise uncle to win every match this season, haha," Rey added.
Such a blatant lie. I just chuckled at their awkward excuse.

I knew they kept many secrets from me. It was just their way to protect me. As long as it didn't affect my daily life, I would not dig too much.

"Anyway, mom texted me and said she'll work overtime," Rey changed the subject. "We know. Do you think she only texted you?" Gina rolled her eyes.
"Haha, so what's for dinner?" Rey asked.
"Chicken or pizza? I'll stop at the drive through on the way," Gina answered.
"Chicken, please," I voiced out my preference.

Gina looked at me and smiled. She ruffled my hair. "It's chicken, then."

.

"Morning!" Lucas greeted me when he and Bea entered our literature classroom.
"Hi guys," I greeted both of them. "Have you finished your calculus homework?"
"Do we have homework?" Bea asked as she put down her bag.
"You should give a little attention to your school work, Bea," Lucas told her.
Bea only raised her shoulder. "Calculus is at two, right? I'll do it at lunch," she shrugged.