Chapter nineteen - Sir Henry arrives at Woodside

Start from the beginning

She walked down the corridor and paused at the top of the stairs, just as Mrs Crossley reported a carriage turning into the driveway. Mrs Latimer summoned her daughters to gather in the drawing room

Alone upstairs, Anabelle glanced into her parent's darkened bedroom. Reassured it was empty she crept to the window, just as the shiny black chaise pulled up in front of the house. The postilion went to the horses' heads and John moved forward to put down the steps, allowing the passengers to emerge from the dark interior.

The first gentleman to alight was dressed all in black, with fair hair curling beneath the brim of his hat. As he was unfamiliar to her she assumed it must be Sir Henry Mountford. The second figure that appeared from the chaise was all too recognisable, and the sight of him had a strong effect on her heart, causing her pulse to race.

As Mr. Fielding waited before the front door, the light from the house illuminated him like an actor on a stage. While he appeared little changed from their earlier meetings, her new-found knowledge had the effect of holding up a magnifying glass; focussing her attention upon the small details of fashion and stately air that marked him as a gentleman of quality. Clues she had ignored or overlooked because she had thought she knew him.

She reached out, running the tip of her finger down the cold pane, as though she could somehow reach across the distance to touch him. Then Mr. Fielding indicated with an imperious flick of his cane that Sir Henry should precede him into the house. This was a man used to giving orders, even to his friends.

How had she been so ignorant to think him nothing more than a lowly steward?

Anabelle relinquished her position by the window to return to the landing, her fingers gripping the baluster rail as she listened intently. In the hallway below the visitors said little as Mrs Crossley relieved them of their hats and overcoats, but the familiar timbre of Mr. Fielding's voice floated up to her before the door closed.

Aware that she was expected in the drawing room, Anabelle ran down the stairs and tiptoed past her father's library. When she joined her sisters the room fell silent, but conversation resumed when they saw it was only Belle. As she withdrew to the corner of the room, Mrs Latimer spared her a withering glance before returning to her battle plans.

"I will put Sir Henry on my left. Selina, you will be next to him."

"Me? Anabelle is the eldest. Should she not—?"

"Your father has particularly requested that Anabelle sit at his side, and Mr. Fielding as well. I know not what he is thinking, but we must make the best of it. I am determined that Sir Henry will solicit at least one of you to dance at the autumn ball before he leaves this house."

"What of Mr. Fielding? Must we dance with him as well?"

Mrs Latimer dismissed Diana's question with a wave of her lace handkerchief. "Of course not, for Sir Henry will bring his guests to the assembly. He cannot wish to socialise with his steward every evening, whether they are friends or not. He has his own position to think about."

Anabelle's heart sank into her slippers. She had been so caught up in her own misery it had never occurred to her to enlighten her step-mother to the truth of Mr. Fielding's circumstances. Yet it was clear from her speech that Mr. Latimer had told his wife nothing. "There is something you must know about Mr. Fielding. He is not..."

Mrs Latimer, speculating with Diana and Selina about the colour of Sir Henry's coat, did not hear her, and by then it was too late to try again. The creak of a floorboard in the hall beyond was their only warning before Mr. Latimer opened the door to admit their guests.

~<>~@~<>~

Upon their arrival at Woodside, the two visitors were shown into Mr. Latimer's study. Once Fielding made the necessary introductions he stood back, waiting in silence as their host solicited Mountford's impressions of the neighbourhood. Sir Henry did not disappoint, enthusing over the beauty of the vistas, the easy distance to town and the many years of pleasure he anticipated enjoying the comfort of Blackwood Hall.