⟦ 1 ⟧

In a universe where soulmates exist, stationed on a busy street, a tea shop stood radiating its warmth for those in the cold. People passed and glanced through the windows, feeling drawn to a fragrance of a brew infused with herbs and fruit.

Sykkuno had the blessing of comfort almost every day, considering he worked there. Each morning he'd step down into the building, closing his eyes and smiling in bliss, allowing his senses to tingle happily.

Today was no different.

The manager was incredibly generous to allow Sykkuno to live in the quarters above the store as it was vacant, and the boy didn't have a current home. Of course, he didn't stay for free. In return, he managed the shop and contributed to the bills.

As he stood behind the counter, Sykkuno looked outside at the snow falling. It was a quiet Wednesday afternoon, receiving few customers. His head perked up when he heard the bell ring, looking over to see the regulars.

"Good morning," Sykkuno greeted quietly. The couple walked over, both smiling brightly. "Mornin'," Fundy responded. Stood beside the man known as 5up. "Have you seen the amount of snow outside? Like, almost every road we passed was blocked." 5up mentioned.

Sykkuno nodded, "I saw on the weather forecast that we'll be seeing a lot of snow for the next few weeks."

"Well, I'm not complaining," Fundy revealed. "It just means that I don't need to go out as often."

"Yeah, so you can play video games all day." 5up rolled his eyes. Fundy scoffed and walked over to a table, squatting down beside a small dog. Sykkuno had adopted Bimbus not too long along and allowed him to roam the building. The dog enjoyed basking in the warmth of the fireplace, rolling around on the carpet.

"Just green tea for the both of us. We'll leave right afterwards. I made plans to visit a couple of friends." 5up said.

Sykkuno nodded and watched as 5up walked over to pet Bimbus.

The boy had his own share of friends, although he kept to himself often. People described him as distant and dull, but it was a common misconception. Sykkuno didn't talk about his hobbies or talents out of the fear of judgement.

He assumed that's why people found him as an average nobody.

✧ ✧ ✧

Sykkuno watched the snowfall. The only time he'd ever break his glaze from it was when a customer entered the shop.

While Sykkuno enjoyed viewing the weather, he also observed people. After looking at their body movements and the tone and pace of their voice, he made assumptions about them in his head. He did it to a few people at school, and later Sykkuno found out his theories were usually correct.

However, he didn't have experience regarding those like the man who just walked in.

Sykkuno felt a sense of intimidation, rubbing his finger and thumb together. But the feeling washed away as the man stood awkwardly. "Uh, do you need anything?" Sykkuno called out. The man flinched his head over, looking straight at the other with his eye. The other eye was covered by his mask. It was rather horrifying to Sykkuno, but it must have taken exceptional skills to create something like that.

The man walked over, paying no mind to the other customers watching him. Sykkuno learnt it was common to look at something or someone who displayed themselves differently to the standard. He finds himself doing it sometimes as well, but not because he finds the person ugly or unsightly. More so, he sees the person as attractive. He believed if engaged in more distinct people, he too would not be called 'boring.'

"Black tea." the man said, handing him a bill. "His voice." It was like none other. He was trembling, probably due to the cold. Sykkuno spares glances at the man as he waits by a table.

He pours the hot liquid from a charming teapot, feeling the steam rise onto his chin. Sykkuno takes another quick look at the man and notices his discomfort. His shoulders are hunched while he stares at his hands. He continued to shiver. The clothes he wore are not suited for winter. Sykkuno ponders for a moment and places the tea down. He walks into a separate room where he kept his bag, jacket and scarf. Sykkuno grasps the scarf into his hands, the green yarn still kept clean.

He takes his position behind the counter and signals for the man to come over rather than calling him.

Once he walks over, Sykkuno hands him the cup of the boiling brew. "So uh," he begins, talking in a hushed whisper. The man doesn't move as he stands stiffly, waiting for the barista to finish. "It seemed you were cold, so..." he holds out his scarf, not daring to look the other in the eye. He waited for a response of sarcasm. Instead, he felt his hand lighten as the man took the scarf into his own.

"Thank you," he consoled. "When should I return it to you?"

Sykkuno smiled softly, "Keep it for as long as you like. I have plenty." he stated. "You'll find me here most days if you ever do want to return it."

The man didn't leave his spot on the hardwood floor. Sykkuno saw his hands squeeze the cup, "What's your name?" he asked. The other was startled. It was not often someone would spark conversation with him. He had little knowledge of social interactions. But his friend Rae had told him to be his typical self. It was strange because when he's himself, Sykkuno only received discerning stares.

Although, the man in front of him seemed to be as awkward as he was.

"I'm Sykkuno, you?"

"Corpse."

Yet again, another person he's met with an odd name, like him.

By this point, everyone felt uncomfortable in the presence of Corpse and left. Bimbus waddled over, sniffing Corpse's feet. The man yelped quietly, looking down at the dog. Sykkuno giggled and watched as Bimbus tottered back over to beside the fireplace. "Cute." Corpse blurted. "Yeah, his name is Bimbus." Sykkuno agreed.

The taller looked back at Sykkuno, "It was nice meeting you," Corpse flushed.

"Oh- it was nice meeting you too." Sykkuno beamed.

"Hopefully, we'll meet again soon."

✧ ✧ ✧

THE FIRST CHAPTER EVERYBODY

Updates might be slower because it's hard to write romance;-;

(IM TRYING I PROMISE)

Hope you guys are doing welllllll

question: favorite holiday?

have a good morning, afternoon or night!

-fai