Imagination 12: Coimbatore Calling

Start from the beginning

Sivaangi's sneer changed into a fond smile as she recalled how her mother made it possible for Ashwin and her to talk things out in the middle of their living room. Yes, nambe amma deivamthaan. One year yenna, two yearskku yennai kalaaikkattum.

Sivaangi's mind voice was admiring her mother while Ashwin was assuring her that they had sorted matters and were now fine.

"Haha, ippo ellaam okay Ma'am. Thanks so much once again, " responded Ashwin with a blush.

He continued, "Unge veetukku varathukku konjam koochamaathaan irunthuchi. But ingeh vanthone ennaku irunthe hesitation ellaam appdiye kaanaame poyiduchi. Thanks to you and Sivaangi, Ma'am. By the way, is uncle alright?"

Mrs Krishnan blinked at the personable chap standing in front of her asking after her husband, who had laundered him inside out yesterday. Such a good-natured boy, he is.

Tapping his arm, she said, "Uncle is all good, Ashwin. Naan solren, neenge rendu perum koodiya seekiram meet pannuveenge...under happier circumstances. You wait and see whether my words come true, seriya?"

"I hope for the same too, Ma'am. Thank you so much for your kind words."

Sivaangi interjected, "Ashwinney! Ithode neenge oru hundred thank yous solliyirupeenge."

"Ava kedakkuraa...Neenge lunch saapteengala, Ashwin?"

"Not yet, Ma'am. Actually naan inge cab-lethaan vandhen. Driver anna ennakaage wait pannittu irukkaaru. Ten minutes-le varennu sollittu ippo one hour aayiduchu. Neenge lunchnnu sonnonna-thaan driver annaavum saaptirukka maataarunnu yennakkey nenappu vanthuchu. Naan mothale kelamburen, Ma'am."

"Okay, okay, Ashwin...Ungale paathathule rhombe santhosham, pa. Take care pannikkonge. Koodiya seekiram paakalaam."

Ashwin walked out of the house with the two women following closely behind him. He stopped at the porch and thanked Mrs Krishnan again, much to Sivaangi's amusement. She giggled only to have Ashwin throw a knowing look at her. Ashwin figured that Sivaangi was cracking up over the number of times he had thanked her mother, and he shook his head at her.

"Bye, Binni Ma'am. Bye, Sivaangi maa." He unlatched the gate and turned around to wave at them once more before walking away towards his cab.

As his figure disappeared, Sivaangi's missing pangs started, and she was already planning the activities they could do in Coimbatore. Hugging her mother, she went inside the house and made a note to call Pugazh as soon as possible to share her decision to accompany him to Coimbatore.

___

Santhanam was napping when he heard someone tapping on the car window. Ashwin was back and looking very apologetic. Smiling groggily, Santhanam unlocked the car for Ashwin to get in.

"Annaa, sorry. Rhombe late aayiduchi, so sorry. Rhombe neramaa wait pannittu iruntheenge. Ungalukku pasikkutha?"

"Paravaale, thamby. Ungallukku wait panre timela naan joraa thoongittuthaan irunthen. Ippothaan oru maniye aaguthu...epppadi pasikkum? Naanthaan moonu manikku saapttu palakka pattavanaache. Seri neenga sollunge aduthu yenge ponnum?"

"Airportukku vandiye edunge, na. Ennakku anji manikku flight."

"Oh, innum neraiya time irukkura maathiri theriyuthu. Ungalukku pasikuthaa, thamby? Yethaavathu hotel-kku kootittu potaa?"

"Vendaan, na. Ennode systemmum ungalode system maathiri moonu manikku saapttu palakka pattadhu. Pasichathunaa naan airportle yethaavadhu vaangi saaptukkuren."

Looking at a happier Ashwin through the rearview mirror as he started the car, Santhanam commented, "Thamby, pona kaariyam sumoogamaa mudinjuthunnu nenaikkuren.  Ithukku munnadi illaathe kalai ippo unge face-laiyum voice-laiyum nallaa theriyudhu."