The flavour of greed

Começar do início

But something was off. "Why me? Why the Dregs? There are more experienced crews out there."

Mikka started to cough, and Kaz saw blood on his sleeve. It seems to take only one dose. Once the drug has run its course, it leaves the Grisha's body weakened and the craving is intense. It was quite debilitating.

"How old are you, Mister Brekker?" Van Eck asked.

"Eighteen." He replied, after the events of the Shadow Fold Kaz turned 18 in the month of January.

"You haven't been arrested since you were fourteen, and since I know you are not an honest man any more than you were an honest boy, I can only assume you have the quality I most need in a criminal: You don't get caught." Van Eck smiled. "There's also the matter of my DeKappel. Six months ago, a DeKappel oil worth ten thousand kruge disappeared from my home. I had been assured that my gallery was impenetrable and that the locks on its doors were foolproof. And yet, despite all my safeguards, dogs, alarms and the most loyal staff in all of Ketterdam, my painting is gone."

"My condolences," Kaz said.

"From what I know of the Ice Court, whoever stole my DeKappel is exactly who I need for this job." He looked at Kaz.

"Then you'd be better off hiring him. Or her." Kaz leaned on his cane.

"Indeed. But I'll have to settle for you." Van Eck told him, and the deal was ten million kruge. He couldn't walk away from it, he would earn more than a million, and this was the biggest deal of his life. Bigger than the Sun Summoner deal.

➖➖➖➖➖

(The Barrel)

(The Barrel)

Anika knew the moment Kaz entered the Slat. His presence reverberated through the rooms as every thug, thief, dealer, conman, and steerer came a little more awake. Per Haskell's favoured lieutenant was home. The Slat wasn't much, three storeys stacked tight on top of each other, crowned with an attic and a gabled roof. Most of the buildings in this part of the city had been built without foundations, they leaned against each other. Kaz had spent his own money to have the Slat's drafts shorn up and its walls insulated. It was ugly, crooked, and crowded, but gloriously dry.

Though dawn was just a few hours away, the Slat was wide awake. Tonight everyone was buzzing with the news of the showdown at the Exchange.

Kaz had been gone longer than anyone had expected, and as soon as he'd entered, he'd been waylaid by people looking to congratulate him.

"Rumour has it Geels is already putting together a mob to move on us," Anika spoke softly, as she twisted a finger along the sides of her short hair.