Twenty-Seven: The Tonight Show

Start from the beginning

I can't imagine many sixteen-year old boys learning to braid hair to fulfil their young cousin's request... but that's exactly what Harry did.

"I'm convinced that part of the reason my aunt and uncle were so upset to see me move into my own place was because I would no longer there to help Natalie get ready in the morning... she was always liked it best when I did her hair."

"That's sweet," I say quietly. "You're sweet."

"Thanks," he laughs again, finishing the last part of the braid. "Sometimes I kind of miss it, living with them. Feels nice to be wanted or appreciated in a way."

I'm quiet for a moment as I think about this feeling of being appreciated and how it relates to Harry. His hands move to my shoulders, holding on gently and I hear him breathe out, sighing loudly.

As I stretch my legs from their crossed position thoughts of his family pop into my head. While I certainly don't know every detail of it, it's easy to speculate that he felt unimportant and unappreciated having to live in this shadow of his brother. It's difficult for to me imagine how someone wouldn't be able to see how wonderful he is, but it's also comforting to know that he at least had a few people in his life that loved him.

I turn around so I'm facing him, now on my knees and resting the side of my head in my hand as my elbow presses into his leg. I want him to know that this is how I feel about him, that I appreciate him, that I want him... and that just like Natalie, I like it when he braids my hair.

"Well I appreciate you," I say it simply, wanting to express it as clear as possible so he doesn't have to question it in the slightest. "You know that, right?"

His hand moves to my cheek, rubbing his thumb over my skin softly. "Yes, of course," he whispers. "I didn't mean to say that like I don't feel that now... I know you do. And I feel the exact same way about you."

"Good," I smile at him again, watching his face as the light from the TV changes colors. "Now, your turn," I laugh, standing up from my place on the floor.

Harry and I switch positions, him sliding down to the carpet and me taking over his place on top of the bed. I cross my legs again, my knees resting on top of his shoulders and he leans his head back for a moment, grinning at me.

I put my hands on either side of his head and move it so he's facing forward, his eyes focused on the screen. Then I comb my fingers through his slightly damp hair, trying to rid of some of the knots. Harry makes a funny squealing sound when I reach one particularly tough one, having to pull at his hair a little harder.

"You're so aggressive," he whines, moving his hand to back of his head and rubbing gently.

"Sorry, sorry," I apologize quickly, laughing as I do. "Not my intention... the finger combing can only accomplish so much though," I explain as I finally get through the tangled knot, causing Harry to whine a little again.

"It's okay," he shrugs, looking forward to the screen. "Don't mind too much when it's you pulling on my hair... kind of turns me on."

"Harry," I hit his shoulder, my hand slapping against his skin. "Cool it, lover boy."

"Sorry," he laughs as he moves his hand to rub the shoulder I just hit. It wasn't that hard of it, he's just being dramatic. "So sorry, baby. Can't help but like what I like, and that happens to be you."

I choose to leave it at that, smiling widely at his words rather of hitting him across the shoulder anymore. I pull back on his hair, much like he did to me earlier so his face is looking up at mine. He doesn't fight it, leaning his head back, smiling up at me as he blinks slowly.