Twenty-Seven: The Tonight Show

Start from the beginning

Harry rolls his eyes dramatically, moving his hands to the side of my head to straighten it so I'm looking at the screen again. He's trying to act annoyed with me for making it harder for him to braid my hair but I only half believe him with the soft laughter coming from his mouth. It's quiet between us for a few seconds and I try refocusing my attention on the current interview on the screen but then I hear Harry's voice again.

"What is your type then, hmm?"

"You," I answer simply, still staring at the screen while Harry's fingers are in my hair.

I've never given much thought to my "type" but Harry falls into every possible aspect that might be there. If I were to make a list of the things I find attractive and would want in a potential partner I'm sure Harry would make the majority of them. I don't have a type per se. I just like Harry... a lot.

This time he's the one to lean my head back rather than getting annoyed with me for messing up his braiding technique. I feel him tug gently at the one complete braid and my neck moves back until I'm staring up at him. He's looking back at me with his hair falling in front of his face and a wide smirk.

"Yeah?" he asks quietly, still smirking.

"Yeah," I smile up at him, trying not to think too much about close my head is to his crotch.

He leans down quickly and presses a kiss to my forehead. Then releases the pull on my hair, allowing me to sit up straight again.

"Yeah," I repeat, felling this strange confidence as I talk. "You already accomplished number one on my list."

"Which is?" he asks quickly, his fingers returning to the second braid that's half finished.

"Hair braiding skills," I try to say it as seriously as I possibly can, fighting back any laughter as I playfully tease him.

"You're an annoying one, aren't you?" Harry laughs above me. "Don't even pretend you're not enjoying this right now."

With my head still facing forward, I smile but stay silent. Harry's right, I am enjoying this even if it is a little random. I like it when he plays with my hair.

"Why do you know how to braid hair?" I finally ask even though it's been a question running though my head since we got into this position.

From what I know it isn't a typical thing for a guy to have much experience in, considering it isn't a common hair style for them. Harry has long enough hair for something like that to be accomplished but this isn't as likely for a large percentage of other men.

"Remember how I said I moved out of my parent's house when I was sixteen?" he asks and I nod my head. "Well when I first moved out I didn't have anywhere to really go and I stayed with my uncle and aunt for a few months. My cousin Natalie who was six at the time always asked me to do her hair for school.

"She was very stubborn about it, never wanted her mom do it and insisted that I was the one who had the privilege of styling it. And she always wanted braids, not any of my other attempts of six-year old hairstyles... so I learned how to braid. Wasn't very good in the beginning, but she was happy no matter how awful it looked. Eventually I got it down."

He takes a deep breath, pausing for a moment and I focus on the way his hands move through my hair. It's clear that he knows what he's doing at this point, still braiding slowly but accurately.

"So I learned to braid hair because my six-year old cousin had me wrapped around her finger," he adds, laughing as he speaks.

I smile thinking about Harry teaching himself to braid because a little girl wanted him to do her hair. It seems so like Harry to do such a thing, learning something silly to make a child happy. And it's impossible not to smile as I think about it.