(1) The Sweetest Thing

Start from the beginning

"Yip, can you come pick me up?" I asked, knowing there was no way he would say no.

"Yeah, of course. Where are you?" Kyle asked and I could hear honest concern in his voice. I wasn't sure about the street name so I just explained to him how we had driven. Kyle was good with directions so it shouldn't be a problem for him to find me.

"Ok, I'll be there in a few," he said and then hung up.

I closed my phone and slipped it back into my purse. I didn't know how long I would have to wait so I kicked off my heels and sat down on the pavement. It was getting really dark but I wasn't too freaked out since it was a very busy road. About ten minutes had passed when I saw Kyle's car in the distance. I got to my feet, dusted them off and slipped my shoes back on. He pulled his car onto the pavement and jumped out, running around it and pulling me into his arms. I hugged him back just as I have many times before. Kyle is really the best friend a girl could ask for.

"I'm so sorry, I know how difficult that had to be for you," he whispered as he wiped away a single tear that had somehow managed to escape my eye.

"No you don't, you've never had to dump somebody you love before," I said jokingly, trying to lighten the mood. Kyle grinned at me and then opened the passenger door for me. I got in and watched as he walked around the car, got in and started it up again.

I turned up the volume of the radio and smiled as one of my favorite songs started playing. Kyle and I have a lot in common except for the fact that he is a guy, emo, and openly gay. Nobody would ever have been able to tell that he is gay because he really doesn't look the part but he doesn't hide it. He said that he doesn't want to pretend to be somebody he's not. There are quite a few guys at school that doesn't like him because of this fact but they don't give him a hard time since he is my best friend and I was dating Randy who happened to be on the football team and extremely popular.

When we got to my house Kyle pulled into the driveway and switched off his car. We went inside and looked around for my mother. We found her in the kitchen, sitting at the table, furiously typing away on her laptop.

"Hi mom," I said as Kyle walked up to her and hugged her hello. My mom loves Kyle and since she knows that he is gay she has no problem with him staying over whenever he wanted too.

"I thought you were going to dinner with Randy," my mom said, looking up at me curiously.

"I dumped him," I replied and watched as her face changed, "And no, I don't want to talk about it," I continued before she could ask me what happened. I knew I would have to tell her eventually but I just didn't feel like talking about it at the moment. She gave me one of her looks that I knew very well, it meant that she would let it go for the moment but that we will talk about it later.