Chapter 7: Rumors

Phil (1st person)

Today I decided to ask Smiley something about school. I know she 'accepted' me, but I still don't really know what that means. Are we boyfriend and girlfriend now? Am I supposed to buy her stuff? Do I ask her on a date? Maybe not the last one. Middle schools a little early for that. At lunch, I asked her "Hey Smiley, do you still like school as much as you used to?". "To be honest, no. Why do you ask?" she said. "No reason. Why don't you like school anymore?" I asked. I feel like this is the kind of thing she might not want to answer, so I'm trying not to be pushy. "Well, there's a lot more classwork, more homework, and everyone's going through puberty." she said. "What does puberty have to do with any of this?" Phred asked. "It's probably just that most of us are changing. Some of us are becoming jerks," Zack said, looking over to the table where all the popular kids sat. "Joy's always been a jerk," Smiley said. "Have you-" the bell for 5th period rang. I was going to give Smiley advice, but I didn't have time. I don't think I need to be tutoring Smiley anymore, because her grades are probably better than mine right now.

Smiley (1st person)

I think Phil was going to suggest something to me before the bell rang. I wish it hadn't, because I could really use some advice right now. I don't think telling my parents is a good idea, because somehow Joy is the favorite, even though we aren't even siblings. I'm just glad that I don't have algebra, my next class, with her. I'm also glad that I don't see her that much outside of school. She won't stop bragging about how she's going to Hollywood. At least she's leaving soon, even if it's only for a little while. I'm worried about what 5 will do while she's gone. I don't think I should worry about it though. He doesn't seem to do much when Joy doesn't order him to. I was surprised when I found out that 5 was able to stuff Pico into his locker. I hope now that 5's done that, he'll leave Pico alone. He hasn't really done much to my other friends. I doubt Joy told him about everything she's done to me. Since she's my cousin, she knows a lot about me. My fears are probably the most helpful thing for her right now. I'm sure if she did that spider thing with Zack, he would've reacted differently.

Pico (1st person)

5's been acting weird lately. I think Joy must've told him something about me, because today, he wouldn't leave me alone. He's been pushing me in the hallways if we pass each other, glaring at me, and whispering to Joy whenever he sees me. I still have cramps from when he put me in my locker yesterday. Phil told me I was in there for five minutes, but it felt like five hours. When I was in social studies, which is the class I have with Phil, Zack, and 5, he wouldn't stop staring at me. My teacher said she had to get papers from the front office, and that she'd be back in a minute. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like you shouldn't leave a bunch of middle schoolers in a room alone together. Everyone immediately started talking to each other once she left the room. 5 was a couple chairs to the right of me. I wish he wasn't, because he kept throwing stuff like pencils or crumpled paper balls at me. I turned away from him and started talking to Zack, who was one chair to my left. The teacher came back, and 5 stopped throwing things and smirked at me.

Zack (1st person)

I watched the clock, waiting for the bell to ring so we could leave. We still had 2 more periods, but social studies is the most boring class. Well, next to math, that is. The class ended in about 7 minutes. The teacher gave us a homework assignment and instructions on how to do it. 3 minutes. The teacher dismissed us before the bell rang. Nice. Everyone cleared out of the room, except for 5, who approached the teacher's desk. I walked out into the hallway and noticed that Pico went back into the classroom. I walked around the corner and listened to what they were saying from the hallway. It's not like I was spying or anything, I was just listening. There's no rules against that as far as I know. I could only hear some of what they were saying. "...What?...That wasn't...He did...". That sounded like Pico talking. It was hard for me to figure out what they were talking about, but I had a feeling that Pico was being falsely accused of something. A minute or so later, 5 walked out of the room happily, and Pico didn't follow him. I would have stuck around to see what happened, but the bell rang, and I had to get going.

Phred (1st person)

I was going from Language arts to biology, and I noticed that Pico wasn't around. When I was in the classroom, he came in a few minutes later. Pico walked up to the front of the room and handed the teacher a paper. He looked kind of shocked. He walked back to his seat and stared at the floor. The teacher was reading from a textbook, and I wasn't really paying attention. I looked over at Pico and saw that he had his head down at his desk. At first, I thought he was asleep or something, but then I saw that his chest was heaving. Was he crying? Pico doesn't seem like the type of kid to cry in the middle of class. The bell rang for the end of school, and Pico sat up. He looked sad, but I couldn't say for sure if he had been crying. He walked with me and my friends out of the school, but then I lost sight of him. I figured he'd be fairly easy to spot in a crowd. I looked around and didn't see him. I looked towards the school doors again and caught a glimpse of his figure. He was going back inside the school. Why? I thought about following him but decided to leave him alone.

Joy (1st person)

I basically told 5 to 'protect' me from Pico. I don't need protecting of course. I just need something entertaining for once. After school, he told me what he did during social studies. He said that he threw stuff at Pico, and told the teacher that Pico threw stuff at him. He also made up a bunch of other stuff about Pico, though 5 didn't specify what. The teacher believed him, and Pico got after school detention for the week. Perfect. He said Pico was acting pretty hurt about it. I'm guessing he's never gotten detention before. 5 told me he's also been pushing Pico in the hallways. 5 does whatever I say for like, no reason, other than being my boyfriend, of course. I'm not complaining though. I'll keep masquerading as his loving girlfriend for now, if it means he'll do whatever I want. The reason I chose 5 and not some other guy is because 1, he's popular, and 2, he's strong. I'm leaving to go on my little trip in a few days, and It'll be nice to have a change in scenery for once.