The Story

I sit at Diane's kitchen table, trying not to wince as she cleans up my wounds. The little scratches and scrapes don't hurt, but the large gash on my forehead stings when she cleans it.

Her immediate reaction had been to take me to the hospital, but I protested, saying I needed her to take care of me. As soon as I said I needed her, Diane's face softened, and she went to work on my cut. 

"What's your name?" Diane asks, reaching into the first aid kit for a few butterfly bandages. 

"Lydia," I reply softly. I look down at my hands, not wanting to watch her while she works.

She smiles. "That's a beautiful name," she says. Then, she pauses her work, lifting my chin to look into my eyes. "Lydia, tell me what happened to you."

I tell her my story, as best as I can. I explain that the Highlands took me in as a foster child, and while they were viewed as respectable and caring members of the community, they were not that way at home. Hal Highland was an alcoholic, and would frequently beat me while he was drunk. 

"He was having a fight with his wife. I tried to save her, I told her to hide in the closet until her had calmed down. But Hal had grabbed a knife from the kitchen. He was so drunk... he thought I was her," I say, tears now streaming down my face. Diane strokes my cheek, trying to soothe me. I continue, "I managed to get out, and I ran away. That's why I need you to hide me, and keep me safe from him."

"Why me?"

I struggle to find a way to answer this, not wanting to offend her. "Well, as I ran I tried to think of who I could turn to. But the thing is... everyone in this town seems to be friends with the Highlands. I couldn't think of anyone who I could trust to hide me away from them, and the police if they report me missing. Then I saw your driveway... I had heard your story several years ago, and..." I trailed off, not knowing how to say this.

"And what, sweetheart?"

"And I knew you wouldn't turn your back on a child that needed you," I finish. I'll admit, I kind of embellished that a little for her sake. I mean, a 17-year-old is hardly a child. And yet, I still very much needed her.

Diane processes all of this for a moment, then says, "Wait a minute... you heard my whole story, with the kidnapping and the drugging and the arrest... and you weren't afraid of me?"

I shake my head. "No. I'm afraid of Hal Highland. He's hurt me more times than I can count. But you could never hurt a child you cared for..." I say.

She smiles. "Well, you're certainly right about that. I will never hurt you, dearest." She pulls me into her embrace, and I wrap my arms around her in return. Her sweater smells like my mother's used to.

After my wounds were taken care of, Diane took me upstairs to Chloe's old room. "I never bothered to clear out Chloe's things because there was no need to. But now that you're here, I'll mover her stuff to the basement and we can redecorate any way you want, okay?"

I nod. "Thank you, Diane," I say softly.

She tucks a strand of hair behind my ear. "You're welcome, love."

After I've had a shower and changed into Chloe's pajamas, Diane decides I need to go to bed. I climb under the covers, and hold onto a stuffed penguin that was sitting on the bed. Diane chuckles at the sight of an almost-adult with a stuffed penguin, but she doesn't try to take it away. She just strokes my hair, looking at me like I'm the best thing that's ever happened to her. Finally, she kisses my forehead and turns out the light before she leaves.