Chapter 8

Ivy woke up around 7:45, opening the window and letting the moonlight poor into the room. She stretched and went to the closet to pick out an outfit. She grabbed a pair of ripped jean shorts, a lacy black cami, a black cardigan with white skulls, and a pair of gray Vans with silver spikes on the heel. Ivy went to the vanity and put her hair into a high ponytail, putting on some thick eyeliner, mascara, and a generous coat of red lipstick.

 Ivy headed toward the library when she ran into Kat- literally. Kat looked up and rubbed her head.

 "Oh my God Kat I'm so sorry!" Ivy said, helping her sister up off the ground.

 "No it's ok.  I actually was looking for you." Kat said.

 "Sure what did you need?"

 "I'm going to help you develop your power. Now that we know what it is, it will be a little easier to learn to control." The girls smiled and went back to Ivy's room and began to try and develop Ivy's power.

•••

 "Try again.  Persistence is a principle to live by." Kat said to Ivy in an irritated tone.

 "I'm trying damn it!" Ivy retaliated, looking in the mirror. Ivy had been practicing for a couple hours now with no real improvement. Ivy's hands and arms were completely gone but her shoulders and body were still visible. She had been trying to control her newfound power and her sister was trying, and failing, to help. Ivy took a deep breath and concentrated. Kat sat silently, watching Ivy from the bed as her legs and torso began to disappear.

 "Awesome Ivy, just a little-" She cut off as Ivy's legs came into view. Ivy let out an irritated sigh.

 "I have no idea what I'm doing wrong!  Yesterday I had no problems."

 "But you had no control either." Kat pointed out. Ivy turned to the mirror.

 "I just don't understand." Ivy said as both girls sat in a thoughtful silence.

 "Maybe you're just hungry." Kat said, breaking the silence.

 "Hungry? What in the world could my stomach have to do with this?" Ivy said, confused and irritated.

 "I mean, it's been 3 nights since you were turned and you haven't had a drop of blood.  You have to be at least a little hungry by now." As Ivy thought about it her stomach rumbled loudly. She smirked, embarrassed, and put a hand on her stomach. Kat giggled, "I'll gather everyone to go hunting. Make sure to change into something dark so hunters don't spot you." she said, getting up to leave the room. "Meet in the living room when you're ready."

 Ivy changed into a pair of black leggings, a black tank top that said 'If Daryl Dies We Riot' in bold white letters framed by blood splatters, her favorite combat boots, and a leather jacket with dark angel wings on the back. She tied her hair into a knot and headed down to the living room. She was surprised to see practically everyone there. Ivy made her way to talk with Leo and Tessa while they all waited.

 "Hey guys!" she said enthusiastically. Tess immediately jumped on her for a hug.

 "Hey how's it's going! Existed for your first hunt?" Tessa asked with a huge toothy grin.

 "Yeah, but I'm a little nervous."

 "The first time is always one of the best, in my opinion." Leo chimed in with a kind of 'matter of fact' tone.

 Ivy twisted a lock of loose hair, like she always did when she was nervous.  Leo and Tessa shared a confused look.

 "What do you think we're doing Ivy?" Leo asked, concerned.

 "We're going to hunt people down and suck their blood." Ivy said.  The two looked at her with an astonished look.

 "No, nope, non, wú, nine, net!" Tessa said quicker than Ivy could even comprehend. Leo put a hand on Tessa's shoulder to quiet her.

 "That's not what we mean when we say hunt. We hunt animals in the forest.  They sustain us just like human blood." Leo said reassuringly.  Ivy let out a sigh of relief, letting go of her flyaways.  Ivy opened her mouth to say something and was silenced by Kat addressing the room.

 "Alright people let's go!" Kat said in an authoritative voice, leading the group outside. Ivy followed Leo and Tessa into the dead forest, taking in the eerie beauty. The dead gray trees intertwined in each other creating a twisted canopy overhead.  The overgrown roots wove in and out of the dark soil like snakes coiling around the great trunks of the trees. The path they walked on was clear, and Ivy assumed that it had been traveled by the group of vampires that have lived in the mansion many times.

 Kat fell to the back of the group to be with her sister. The group split into pairs and small groups to hunt, without saying a word, like this was a normal routine that Ivy had to get used to. -Kat and Ivy walked together in silence when they arrived at the small clearing and spotted a doe weaving through the tree line. Both girls instinctively ducked in the brush to hide. Kat turned to ivy and whispered, "You take this one."

 Ivy crouched, silently moving toward the doe. When she was 10 feet away she slowed, contemplating her next move, when she realized she could attempt to use her power.

 Concentrating, Ivy held out her hand and watched it disappear. Checking the rest of her body she was excited to find it had vanished.  She stood and steadily moved toward the doe. When she was less than an arm's length away she put her hand on the animals back to steady it and wasted no time sinking her teeth into its neck. Trying to be gentle she began to suck its blood and the taste of wild raspberries met her tongue. Ivy drank until she felt full then retracted her fangs and reappeared.

 The doe flinched and ran in the opposite direction as Ivy turned to return to Kat but found she was gone. Ivy searched near the clearing but didn't find her and decided to return to the house. She found the path back to the house and was walking along the forest when a dead branch fell behind her. Her head snapped up and a dark shadow fluttered through her vision. When she continued along the path she monitored her surroundings, feeling like she was being watched for a second time.  

 'Why is it every time I am in a forest I'm being watched?' Ivy thought to herself. There was the tiniest rustle in the canopy that made Ivy's eyes flicker upward. She could see a ghostly hand and arm accompanied by familiar dark brown hair. Ivy smirked and without looking up said,

 "You can't sneak up on a hunter, dollface." Andy floated down through the thick branches and landed in front of Ivy, arms crossed, yet smirking. He was wearing a tight black t shirt that showed off his abs, a pair of black Vans and a pair of baggy gray jeans that, even though he was wearing a belt, hung down on his hips.

 "How could you have heard me?  I barely touched the top branches!" Andy asked in a playfully annoyed voice. Ivy giggled.

 "I was raised to hunt you.  I know your movements before you make them, and I know how to take. you. down." she said, trying to be intimidating even though she was much smaller than Andy was. He began to circle her.

 "Oh is someone trying to scare me? Because it's working, I'm shaking." he said in an overly sarcastic voice, trying to screw with her. He shot her a sarcastic look that made Ivy want to punch him, but instead she laughed.

 "I dont have to try.  You'd be wise to be afraid of me." she said, standing up straight.  The two stared at each other then smirked.

 Andy said, "Then show me."  and floated away. Ivy smiled and raced after him at superhuman speed, hunting him like a lion after a gazelle.