"Oh Abby, you're going to be my sister!" Hyacinth was heard from where she clung around the debutant's waist.

"I would've thought you had enough." Abigail joked and hugged the youngest Bridgerton back.

"I'm just happy to have someone around who appreciate's my point of view." Eloise squeezed in a hug once Hyacinth had released Abigail.

"Oh yes because you are so oppressed." Anthony's sarcastic comment was heard on their left.

Abigail turned and arched her brow, effectively silencing him. Benedict, who was next to his brother, gave a laugh at the interaction.

"Are we sure you two aren't already married?"

Before either of them could clip back however Hyacinth butted in with yet another question.

"Oh! Are you two going to live here now?"

Furrowing her brows, Abigail realized they hadn't discussed this at all. With all of their difficulties simply trying to announce the engagement, they hadn't once discussed what happened next. But by the looks of it, Anthony had.

"I believe we'll spend some time in my lodgings before we can all discuss what's best for everyone's living situation. I would never want to uproot anyone."

Abigail smiled, but on the inside she was debating whether to admire his thoughtfulness or be irritated she had made this decision without consulting her. Obviously she wouldn't say anything now, however something inside her said the subject would be revisited.

----

Abigail's thoughts drifted back from the memories of this morning and came back down to reality as Miss Thompson entered the room. 

"Ah, Miss Thompson." Daphne greeted her, all the life that used to coat her voice seemed to be gone, leaving behind an oddly formal, and oddly stiff version of her best friend. "Thank you for joining us." 

"I did not realize I had a choice." Marina's harsher tone cut through the air. 

"My brother wished for an audience. And I wish to avoid any further scandal attached to my family's name." She looked between them and said, "I will remain here as a chaperone, and Abigail will sit with me, to keep me company, as well as to keep us all sane." 

Abigail smiled slightly and gave Marina a sympathetic nod. She wasn't pleased with the circumstances she'd put her soon to be in-laws in, however, she found it rather difficult to completely blame her. What was she to do as a woman in this society? Her options were either to get rid of the child and die trying, or find a man who would cherish her and the baby. She would never voice this opinion to anyone, but she had a strange sense that Colin knew she felt that way, maybe that's why he wanted her here. 

She and Daphne took a seat next to each other, across the room, giving the illusion of privacy to the couple. Abby took up a bit of needlework and Daphne gathered a book in her hands. 

"Marina... you must tell me that this Whistledown woman is mistaken. What she wrote cannot be true." Colin's voice seemed to be breaking already. 

"But it is." 

"You are... with child?" 

Though she and Daphne were not looking, Abby knew Marina was nodding.

"I do not understand. We were to be wed. You... you said you loved me."

"Colin, I hold you in the greatest esteem."

"Esteem?" He repeated. "You are a cruel woman indeed to stand here and talk of friendly affection, as if you have not just committed a grave sin against me."

"Speak not of sin, Mr. Bridgerton." Marina's words became cold. "I did not come here to be shamed by you, nor anyone else." She sent a look towards Abigail and Daphne who were, rather conspicuously watching them. 

They looked back down.

Marina took a long moment before she spoke again. 

"I did not know better. You may think me a villain, but I did what I thought I must. No one ever truly helped me, or guided me in a different direction. I had no choice." She took a breath. "I needed to wed. And you, you were the only man who offered me even a glimpse of happiness." 

"So I should feel flattered then?" It was almost as if Colin's heart was breaking, right there on the parlor floor. "Consider myself lucky that you chose me, lied to me, tried to trick me into a fraud of a marriage?"

Abigail's peripheral vision fought Daphne's grip tighten around her book as well as her breath sharpen.

Colin stepped forward rather formally. 

"I shall take my leave of you for the last time, Miss Thompson." He began to walk towards the door but stopped with his hand on the doorknob. 

Turning back around, he said, "You wish to know the cruelest part of your deception? If you had simply come to me and told me of your situation... I would have married you without a second thought. That is how 'in love' I believed myself to be. But I see now that was all a lie." With that he stormed out. 

Marina stood, looking at the spot where he left with a look of shock and shame written on her face. Abigail supposed she should be shocked, most men would not have offered to marry an already pregnant woman, but Colin wasn't 'most men'. In fact, Abigail knew for a fact all of the Bridgerton men would have reacted the same way for someone they cared for. It was a comforting knowledge, indeed. 

There were several moments silence before Daphne moved forward in an attempt to approach Marina. However, she didn't get very far.

"I believe I would like to return home now. After all, we don't want another scandal attached to your family name." She sounded bitter. But, then again Abigail supposed she had every right to sound so. 

Daphne stared into space with a look of deep thought as Marina walked out. Before Abigail could inquire as to what those thoughts were, however, Rose came in and announced that the carriage was waiting and they must prepare for The Queen's luncheon.

(Alright, yes. I ought to be thrown in Wattpad prison for how long I've made you all wait for this. I'm sorry, I have no better excuse than I just didn't have the motivation. But there's not long until the end now and I hope you enjoyed this chapter!)