𝟬𝟰. piper's type

Start from the beginning

          "What's up with you, princess?" Piper asked.

          Willa looked at Piper, seemingly glad to get out of replying to Pope—on the pretense of dignity, of course—, then she elbowed Edith, "She's pissed at you."

          "I can see that," Piper nodded. "Why?"

          "She was worried about you. She woke up yesterday and you were gone."

          Edith elbowed Willa in the ribcage, but kept herself looking straight ahead to the coast guard tent, "I wasn't worried. I was glad you were gone."

          "Yikes," Piper said, her mouth slightly agape in awe of Edith's ferocity. She found it kind of funny, too, though. Like, yes, Edith was insulting Piper's very existence—once Edith got annoyed because she could hear Piper breathing—but working Edith up was something that brought Piper great, unfiltered joy.

          Then, John B and JJ rejoined the group.

          "That went well," John B said sarcastically, pulling Pope, Kie, and Piper away from Willa and Edith to talk secretly and conspiratorially. Piper didn't know for sure, but she thought one of the reasons Edith probably hated her so much was because she would drop everything just to cater to her brother and her friends. Even at the expense of others. Piper had certainly dropped things at the expense of Edith.

          JJ draped his elbow over Piper's shoulder, and Piper shoved him off. JJ looked her in the eyes, mock-hurt across his face, "What if I had canine diabetes, Pipe? Would you let me lean on you then?"

          "No," Piper deadpanned, then she scrunched her nose in curiosity. "Can dogs even get diabetes?"

          "Shut up, Maybanks, for, like, two seconds," Kie said benignly.

          "What's the plan?" Pope asked and JJ set his elbow back on Piper's shoulder.

          "I know how we're gonna find the guy who owns that boat," John B said, twirling the motel key between his fingers.

          Pope pointed at the key as JJ took it from John B to inspect it, "We don't know whose room that is. It could belong to anyone."

          "I'm in," JJ said resolutely, tossing the key over Pope's head to Kie.

          "Come on," Kie said, egging on Pope with a smile. "I'll be lookout."

          John B put his hand on Pope's shoulder as he passed and whispered, "Finder's fee. Just sayin'."

          "I'll be the getaway driver, Pope," Piper grinned, dangling the keys to the HMS Pogue in front of her nose.

          John B turned to look at Pope and said, "See? At least you'll only be an accomplice."

          "Come on..." Piper groaned, pulling at Pope's chambray.

          "Oh, wait, Piper," Willa said as Piper let go of Pope's shirt and nudged him forward, so she could pick up the back of the line. Edith groaned with distaste and acute annoyance. "Dad gave us your paycheck. It's on the boat, I can grab it. Unless you're in a rush?"

          Piper turned back, but looked over her shoulder at her friends for direction. John B nodded, so Piper told Willa that, "Yeah, we're in a bit of a hurry..."

          "S'fine," Willa shook her head. "We'll be here all day, just swing by later if you can."

          "'Course," Piper grinned and winked at Edith who had turned happily now that Piper was leaving. "See ya' later, princess."