Zach and Ned

I've had a terrible childhood. Depression, adhd, anxiety. You name it.

I feel out of place, like I don't belong anywhere. My parents have switched my school district nearly every year of my life.

I've never had any friends. My only friend is my cat, that's pretty pitiful.

So, that's why I was pretty surprised to get a letter from 'Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry', addressed to me, the afternoon of my birthday, July 26th.

I looked over my shoulder, making sure my parents weren't looking, then I darted upstairs to my bedroom.

"Hogwarts?" I mumble, "what's Hogwarts?"

I rip the letter open, I never get mail. My cat comes and curls up against my leg, I smile, scratching his ear.

"What'd I get, buddy?"

He purrs, and then I open the letter, slowly reading over it. Again, and again, and again, this is a prank, right?

 Again, and again, and again, this is a prank, right?

*pretend that says Zach Kornfeld*

Silence, for about 3 minutes, and then... "MUMMMMMMM!"

I hear a dish fall, then shatter. Then, not a moment later, I hear light footsteps rushing upstairs.

"Zach, baby, whats wrong?" She swoops to my bed and gives me a big hug. "Is everything okay darling?"

I'm silent, and I pass her the letter. As she reads it I hear her letting out deep breaths, gasping, she seems worried.

"Zach.. oh sweetie. I'm sure this is a prank."

"No mom, theirs an owl. And theirs... theirs a" I show her the moving picture of some old bloke with a long beard, that's impossible.

She nods, taking a deep breath. "Ok. Ok... um. What- what?"

I sigh "Can I go? This. I feel it. This is where I belong, mum. I know I'm meant to be there."

She nods, tears falling from her eyes, "of course baby. Yes. Yes of course. We- you're a wizard! Can you do magic?"

I shake my head, laughing, "I don't think so mum." we both laugh, hugging each other so tightly.

*diagon alley*

Oh. My. God. This is. This is amazing! Theirs people dressed in weird clothes... theirs flying brooms and owls and wands and cauldrons and... oh god this is overwhelming.

I have to take a seat, my mom following close behind. She looks like a lost puppy, which is how I feel.

Suddenly I feel a tap on my shoulder and swing around so fast I feel like I'm about to get whiplash.

"'Lo. You seem lost. First time?" A kid with red hair ask, looking me up and down.

"Yes. I've never... how?"