Snowed In(Whispangle Oneshot)

Today's forecast: snow! Lots of it. Yes, all around Mobius, snow was beginning to blanket everything that wasn't already covered up. According to the news, these snow showers would last for at least a day or two. Schools were closed, and by the time the snow stopped, young children would be running amok while their parents had the not-so-fun duty of shoveling snow out of the driveway. In the meantime, it was recommended to stay indoors where it was warm. Whisper the wolf, "Guardian Angel of the Battlefield," was more than happy to do just that.

It wasn't often the mercenary had a break. With threats like Dr. Eggman, Dr. Starline, and Mimic running about, it seemed as if she always had to look behind her shoulder to make sure she wasn't under attack. Part of her was still concerned that one of them was going to jump out at her despite the snowstorm, but she did her best to push that thought back for now. She deserved a break; that was something everyone was constantly telling her. Restoration Director Jewel, her wisp companions, even Sonic—and that was someone who could barely hold still for more than three seconds. Perhaps she had earned it, Chaos knows when the last time she really relaxed was. So, today the sniper had a new mission: kick back, relax, and enjoy a moment of peace for once. She already had the day planned out, too! She was currently in the kitchen, preparing some nice hot cocoa and a bit of poundcake, her favorite meal. In the living room, she had a pile of her coziest blankets stacked up on the couch. Not far from the blankets was a selection of Christmas movies; most of them on the older side for nostalgia. The fireplace was crackling with a comforting glow. She was going to have the perfect break, relaxing and festive.

That's when a loud, prolonged groan rang out from upstairs.

Whisper, not at all a stranger to danger, quickly went into fight or flight. Gripping her wispon, she hid behind the counter and held her aim towards the doorway. Whatever it was, it was coming from upstairs. The only way it'd be able to feasibly reach her was by coming in towards the entrance. She was ready for them. She'd get the jump on them. Footsteps started to gradually increase in volume from the stairs. Not too loud, not too rough sounding. The source of the footsteps was presumably on the lighter side. Probably not Eggman; he'd make too much of a show about his arrival. Starline? Possibly, but he was very cautious...he wouldn't make this much noise. Mimic? Mimic was also one for stealth, but he was a master of mind games. What if he'd shapeshifted into someone noisy just to throw her off? Her grip on her wispon tightened. No. She'd be ready for him.

"It's still snowing...! Ugh, no one's gonna be out in a storm like this! There's nothing to do!" the voice ranted. Whisper's ear twitched. That voice...feminine and energetic, if not a little grumpy from the situation it described. It was familiar. "Whisper? You around here, girl?" it spoke again, "Pfft! As if you'd be out there, right? That's my thing. Seriously, where are you?" So painfully familiar. Tangle. That was undoubtedly Tangle's voice. The excitable little lemur from Spiral Hill. Her girlfriend. Whisper's guard lowered ever-so-slightly; Mimic was able to replicate voices, and liked to hit where it hurt. She didn't put it past him to shapeshift into the person she loved most just to hurt her more. The owner of the voice stepped into the doorway; sure enough, the appearance was Tangle. "Do I smell hot co— WOAH!" she yelped upon seeing the weapon aimed at her. "Simmer, girl! It's me! It's me!"

The wolf narrowed her eyes, ears flattened. She inspected the "lemur" in front of her carefully. To his credit, Mimic was a master at his craft. He could replicate anyone's appearance almost perfectly. Last time, he'd been able to convince her to lower her guard by copying her mannerisms perfectly. So, anything "Tangle" said or did now wouldn't be all that convincing. Still, there had to be a giveaway, right? Some kind of indicator on whether or not she was the real Tangle. She made eye contact...that's it! Something she had managed to notice from their last encounter was while Mimic could copy appearances almost exactly, there was still one giveaway: he could never get the eye color correct. Anyone he shapeshifted into would have dull, brown eyes in place of their own. She'd gazed into her girlfriend's eyes enough to know their color, a gorgeous fuschia. The eyes staring back at her? ...That same gorgeous fuschia. Whisper sighed, lowering her wispon and twitching an ear at the 'phew' that escaped Tangle. "You scared me. When did you even get here?" Whisper scolded.
Tangle raised a brow, tilting her head. "...Seriously? You don't remember? I've been here since last night! You invited me over!" she replied. Whisper frowned. With everything on her mind, she'd completely forgotten inviting her girlfriend to come spend the night with her. Maybe she did need a break. Before she could apologize, Tangle laughed and walked over, extending her tail to embrace her in the way that only she could. "Sorry, Whisper. I'll make myself more clear next time." she offered, "What are you up to, though? I smelled hot cocoa and came rushing down."
"Well, it didn't seem like a lot was going to happen today. I thought I'd try to get comfortable and take that break you've all been telling me to have." Whisper answered, scowling at the wispon in hand. Right. A break, in which she'd almost fired at her girlfriend. Already going great.