Chapter 20: Aftermath

Depuis le début

Sincerely,

Korra"

Putting the letter into an envelope, Korra headed towards her nearby post office. Giving the letter to the postman, the man kindly accepted her request, running as fast as he could toward Asami's apartment. Finally arriving at her place, the postman rings the doorbell announcing the sender's name.

"Letter for Asami, Sent by Korra!" The postman yells.

Asami was surprised as she didn't expect to hear a word from Korra since her encounter. During the midst of Korra writing the letter, Asami was getting ready for her next business trip with Varrick. After packing her clothes and a couple of sex toys for her leisurely use, Asami read the letter. Tears start to form from her eyes as she believes this would be the last time she'll ever see her again. Worried about Korra, Asami grabs her bags, running towards the docks once more.

Asami saw history repeating itself. Just as Korra left Republic City after Bolin's death, Korra was leaving Asami after failing to save Mako. However, instead of hating Korra for her lack of pride, Asami was furious at herself for not being there to save her. Korra had almost died to save the young CEO and Asami did nothing in return. The talk she had at the Air Temple was something she made up so Korra would return to Republic City. It wasn't Asami being a helpful friend that caused her to say those words, but rather the desperate need to see Korra once more.

While Korra sees Asami as some angel, Asami sees herself as the epitome of greed, pride, and lust. She's selfish for wanting Korra and not considering what she felt. She's selfish for wanting a slow relationship instead of a relationship Korra needed. But worst of all, while Korra was suffering from her past and current trauma, Asami played the victim card. Korra had saved her time and time again only for Asami to return nothing.

She craved Korra's attention. She craved being dominated by her muscles and tickled by her short hair. If anything, Korra had not just saved her physically, but also her soul. If it wasn't for Korra, she would have remained in her office dying from loneliness. Reading the letter, Asami had a strange feeling that Korra was leaving and this time for good. With tears dropping against her cheeks, she didn't want their last farewells to be filled with hatred. Asami didn't want their last impressions of their relationship to be despicable and hopeless.

Asami wasn't sure what time Korra's ship would depart, but she didn't waste a single second.

Exiting her front door, Asami noticed the traffic in Republic City being so intense. Within a small second, she decided to run for the docks as it would be much faster than driving there. Her legs started to ache as they burned with pain and desperation. It was a hot summer's day and although her legs begged Asami to stop running, she ignored the pain within her slender flesh as she continued running for Korra.

Finally reaching the docks, Asami sees Korra being the last one to enter the boat. Trying to catch her breath, Asami screams Korra's name at the other side of the shore.

"Korra!" Asami screamed.

Korra froze as she turned her head to her left and noticed her former lover walking slowly towards her. Words couldn't spill from her mouth as she never expected the young CEO to arrive at all. During Asami's sprint, Korra purposely waited to be the last one boarded, hoping Asami would come after reading the letter. While her hopes were answered, she only considered it to be wishful thinking.

Arriving towards Korra, Asami gave her a big hug. With Asami's arms wrapped around Korra's torso and her chin against Korra's shoulders, Asami started to have their conversation. Although Asami wanted to scream, she instead whispered as she lost her voice from exhaustion.

"Do you have time to talk?" Asami asked.

"What are you doing here?" Korra asked.

"I'm sorry I didn't talk to you...." Asami apologized.

"Me too." Korra stated.

"I read the note. You could've at least dropped by." Asami explained.

"I didn't think you wanted to see me again." Korra stated.

"Of course I want to see you again. You.... You mean everything to me." Asami stated.

Everyone was quiet as they continued to hug each other. The boat horned extremely loud, implying it was departing soon.

"I have to go." Korra stated.

Korra removed herself from Asami's grasp as she handed the ticket to the conductor. With Korra leaving her hug, Asami reached in once more, grabbing onto Korra's hand.

"I'm sorry Korra. I'm sorry I don't feel the same about Mako as you did. But that doesn't mean we should end things here. If anything I was the inconsiderate one. I don't want things to be over just because of something like this. I love you, just the way you are. You don't need to change, a matter of fact, I don't want you to change. I know I'm being selfish, but please stay. Stay with me. I can't lose you again." Asami stated.

Korra smiled as she saw the tears drip from Asami's emerald eyes and down her soft, beige skin. No matter how much Asami wanted Korra to stay in Republic City, Korra felt the need to go home.

"As much as I want to stay with you, I need to go back home. I need to visit my parents and tell them what happened." Korra stated.

"Let me join you then." Asami suggested.

"You don't have a ticket." Korra giggled.

"I own the boating company Korra, how the hell did you think I managed to find which boat you're departing in?" Asami stated.

"Well... what am I gonna tell my parents. That we're dating. I don't think they'll take it very lightly." Korra explained.

"Korra, for once in your life. Stop thinking about what others think of you. I understand you wrote that letter because you're worried about how I feel. I know you're worried about Mako and what he thinks of you. I know you came back to Republic City because you believed the world depended on you. But I'm asking you to think about yourself. If you won't be selfish for your own personal gain, at least be selfish for someone you care about. You've done so much for me and everyone within this city. You've saved me more times than I can count. If you won't listen to yourself, at least listen to what I want from you. Tell me, what is it that you want?" Asami asked.

Korra contemplated for a while as she wasn't even sure herself. She knew she wanted a normal life, however, what did that even look like. To Korra, saving the world and fighting villains seemed the everyday norm. On the other hand, getting married and having sex seemed almost impossible for her to do. Taking a moment to think, Korra answered Asami's question.

"I know I want to be with you. To be honest, I'm not sure what I want myself. I've always lived my life as the Avatar, I never realized how to live life as myself. I don't even know what I really want or desire. I can't make up my mind. I..."

Korra started to tear up as she didn't even know herself. Her hands started to shake as she couldn't even identify herself as a person. Seeing Korra struggling, Asami caressed her hands around Korra's as she comforted her friend.

"It's okay... we can find out together. You and me." Asami stated.

With a smile on her face, Korra dragged Asami towards the bow of the ship. Staring towards each other, the two friends shared a passionate kiss as the sun sunk below the horizon.