Just Wanted to Raise Your Spirits

Start from the beginning

"I don't know if you'll find it as comfortable," she said in amusement, trying to picture him settling onto said futon and sleeping. He seemed the type to like and need creature comforts. "The novelty of it will wear off soon, I'm sure."

"Don't be pessimistic," he sounded pouty, even if his face tried not to be. "I take care of my things," he insisted and she was reminded of something Louisa had once told her Francis liked to say, regarding his overprotective nature of what he considers 'his'.

"Look, I've got it set up here in my office for now though, so you can see to it," he told her as he opened his office doors and led her in, to which she stopped short and stared.

The office was huge, bigger than the Agency's main office several times over —and this was just Francis' office. Considering the size of the office, she felt dwarfed in it and wondered how Francis could work in there and not feel isolated or alone.

Maybe it was why he wasn't around here so much and tended to barge in on her at the Agency...

"This place is big," she looked around in awe. "You have all this space just to yourself!"

The older man shrugged, looking around too. "Hm, it's just space. If you want, you can bring some of your work here to do in peace, either for a change of scenery or just a change of pace. Or more probably, to escape the chaos of the Agency," he teased.

"That would be nice," she said thoughtfully, actually considering it. Plus, she could keep him company, since that seems to be what he really wanted. It didn't help that she really would appreciate being able to actually work and that she could happily and peacefully avoid the chaos and insanity of her coworkers and the Agency's workplace.

He looked caught off guard before looking satisfied. "Anytime then," he told her firmly. "Just come by. Open doors for you, I promise."

Francis then pointed towards a spot near his glass windows overlooking the city, where a futon lay on the floor atop a tatami mat.

"I placed it there —open space around it, good view, and just enough room to fit it there anyway," he said proudly and she looked at it and her mind finally registered the size.

"Fitzgerald-san, you're one person," she said, staring. "Why on earth would you need that huge futon?!"

He gave her a look. "I usually have a king-sized bed to myself. Why wouldn't I have a king-sized futon?"

Oh, the laughter that bubbled out of her at him couldn't be helped, but seriously! He was just so ridiculous. Even with his bemusement at her, he still started smiling a bit at her reaction.

"You Americans, honestly," she rubbed the back of her head, shaking it. "Or maybe it's you crazy rich Americans...."

"Probably mostly the latter," he shrugged goodnaturedly. "Nevertheless, most Americans are pretty crazy. That and we do like extravagant things. The bigger the better!"

"Not always," she hmmed distractedly, while she missed the brief smirk that flitted across his lips that should've warned her.

"Some things certainly are," he said suggestively, giving her a wink and raising an eyebrow.

She stared at him in confusion, leading to an awkward silence that made him literally pout outright.

"You're no fun. You're too naïve," he sighed. "Ah well," he brightened up. "At least I can keep doing it and it'll just go over your head!"

She gave him a bland look that made him snicker and she mock shoved at him, leaving him behind to go look at his new futon he wanted to show off. It was nice, she admitted. It obviously was made of quality material and was probably expensive, as per Francis' taste. The pattern wasn't overly bright, featuring a very oriental look that she supposed was what he wanted to go with his 'Japanese experience'.