09. camp nightwing

CHAPTER NINE
( ! camp nightwing ! )

CHAPTER NINE ( ! camp nightwing ! )

"KILLER CAPITAL, USA. After a week of terror, Shadyside continues to live up to its twisted nickname. Clad in a Halloween skull mask, Shadyside high graduate Ryan Torres kicked off the days of terror with a massacre at the mall. And now an already morning community is plunged into horror yet again as the Sheriff's Department reports more carnage at East Union Medical. Police believe the murders were fueled by amphetamines. Local teenagers Kate Schmidt, Simon Kalivoda, and Annie Marks are the primary suspects. The scene of the final carnage was the local grocery store. Sheriff Nick Goode found the Grab and Bag soaked in blood and broken dreams."

"IN SHADYSIDE, THE past is never really past. This was... July 12th. The summer of 1978. The first day of camp. A week later, my sister and my best friend were dead."

JAMES MARKS SMILED as he looked at his girlfriend, Mary-Jane. She was dropping him off at camp, one they were originally meant to go to together. The Shadyside boy grabbed the Sunnyvale girls hand in his own, watching as she looked around at everyone slightly worried and paranoid.

"Hey, don't worry. Once camp is over, I'll come right back. By then I'll be 18 and we can go off and live the life we have dreamed about with our little girl." James spoke, whispering the last part as Mary-Jane didn't want anyone to know she was pregnant just yet.

Her family already hated she was with a Shadysider, who knew where that much needed money would go if they found out she was carrying his child.

Mary-Jane smiled. "How do you know it's gonna be a girl?" James took her hands in his own, bending down a bit and planting a soft kiss on the older girls lips (she was already 18). "I don't know, I just do."

"Okay then, if you're so sure... when you get back we'll have to start thinking of baby names for the little girl." Mary-Jane stated quietly yet excitedly. James laughed a bit, now becoming slightly embarrassed. "I uh— I've already got one. Unless you have some grandma you wanna name her after but-"

"James!" Mary-Jane stopped him, a small chuckle leaving her lips. "What's the name?" James bit the inside of his cheek. It always seemed to be something he did when he was nervous to take away some of said nerves. "Annie."

Mary-Jane looked at him a bit curiously. "Why Annie? Do you have a hidden grandma I don't know about?" James chuckled as he shook his head. "Nah, but... I don't know it's stupid but ever since I was a little kid I wanted a daughter. My parents thought it was strange their 8 year old was telling them all about his future kid and every-time someone would ask what I'd name her when I finally got her, I said Annie."

Mary-Jane smiled. "Well then, Annie it is."

A cheerful look spread across James face. They were gonna have a new life. A good life. Mary-Jane would get her inheritance from her parents and the young couple would find a house in Sunnyvale. James would be able to leave Shadyside once and for all. He'd get a job in Sunnyvale and the family would be happy. It would be James, Mary-Jane, and their kid all living happy healthy lives.