Chapter 2: Plato

The two Tom cats stood upon the pile of junk, sacks of food around their feet. "Well well, Jellicles, we have arrived!" The Rum Tum Tugger boomed loudly, showing off as usual. The first Tom spotted the crowd of female kittens at the front of the clearing, consisting of Etcetera, Victoria, Jemima and Electra. Beside them stood the deputy of Old Deuteronomy, Munkustrap, and his second in command Alonzo. He nodded briefly at Plato and Plato dipped his head in respect. Tugger was less respectful towards his brother, raising his eyebrows and flicking his tail promptly.

The group of older cats were in the far corner of the junk pile, muttering about Tugger. He was the least popular 'Terrible Bore' to the older residents of the tribe, but the most popular 'Curious Cat' to the younger cats. They included the red and ginger queen, Bombularina. Bombularina was known for her attitude towards toms, and Tugger relished in this. But Plato was slightly closer to the kittens, who unfortunately tended to follow Tugger around. However, according to Electra, Victoria had a small crush him.

"Tugger, Plato, it's good to see you back," Munkustrap meowed, slowly padding up to the pair, eyeing the sacks of food. Tugger rolled his eyes and slung the food over his shoulder and Plato did the same. "For your information, Munkus," he said slyly, leading the way towards the hungry Jellicles, "it took quite a while to catch all this food and you of all cats should appreciate it more." The feisty Tom paused to flick his tail underneath a kitten's chin, and Plato recognised her as Jemima. She, although squealing excitedly along with her friends, looked slightly unhappy and her gaze often flitted back and forth to her friends and the Tom. Victoria eyed Plato, and he gave a small meek nod and handed her a sack of food. "Thanks," she whispered softly, pawing it open. "Uh it's okay," Plato replied quietly, retreating to follow Tugger towards the Tom kittens.

Pouncival eyed Tugger suspiciously but gave Plato a friendly nudge. "You took your time, eh?" He laughed, taking the food from his friend. Plato shrugged with a grin, "well it was quite a chore to feed the whole tribe with only two of us." Tumblebrutus was busy chatting away to Tugger when two cats appeared over the side of the junk pile and a chorus of excited meows filled the air.