She sent him a soft smile and with that, she walked back over to Kieran. She wasted no time hugging the man and Klaus stood in place for a brief moment, just before walking out of the room.

Later that day, after collecting everything Kieran had asked her to obtain, Cadence walked back into the room in the attic where Kieran stood. She carried everything he had asked for. "Everything is where you said it would be except that key you mentioned. That's the one thing I couldn't find. It's the one you usually wear around your neck?"

"That key is a very important part of my family's legacy,"He informed her and Cadence gave him a puzzled look, "You have to find it."

"Why me?" She asked, smiling sadly, "It's your family legacy."

"Because you are my family, Cadence. What don't you understand? You might not be my family by blood, but I took you in, I raised you as best as I could. And no matter how it may seem, you didn't turn out half as bad as everyone claimed you would," He complained, causing Cadence's eyes to soften at his confession, "You have to find that necklace. I'm begging you. And you must give it to Cami alongside the rest of these things. You need to look out for her, make sure she doesn't get herself into the messes I have as an O'Connel. She needs you. She's stubborn. But so are you. You have to look out for her. You need to look after each other."

"I will, I promise," She assured him, looking determined.

Kieran placed the belongings Cadence had handed him down on the chair next to him. He sighed and slowly turned to face Cadence once more.

"I am so sorry," He apologized, which caused Cadence to frown.

"Why?" Cadence asked, smiling softly, "You didn't do anything."

"You've grown a lot since you first came to live with me, Cadence. And I might not say it a lot, but I am proud. You've been through so much but through it all, you put on a brave face and stayed strong no matter. The twins couldn't have asked for a better mother. A mother who will fight for them until her dying breath. There are many people against you in this town. Many enemies who want you dead because of what you are and what your children are. They're scared of your power. And the twins even more. I thought Marcel was the one who could keep you safe, but he's not," he explained, causing Cadence to begin to frown in confusion, "And even if I didn't like the idea of it first, I think the alliance you have with Klaus might just be the best thing to keep you safe. He cares about you, you know. More than he lets on. Stick with him and you'll be safe. Because I won't be here to protect you anymore."

"No," Cadence spoke up, tears forming in her eyes as she shook her head, "No. This can't be how it ends."

"It was the only way it was ever going to end," He reminded her and Cadence lowered her head in shame, "I made peace with that a long time ago. Deep down, you knew that too."

Noticing how Cadence looked to be on the verge of crying, Kieran rushed over to the young woman and hugged her tightly. She began to sob and Kieran sighed, pressing a soft kiss to her cheek. "Listen, Cadence, I don't know how bad this gonna get, and I don't want you to see it. You've seen enough, you've endured enough pain and loss in your life. You don't need to witness this too. I don't want you to. So in a moment, I'm gonna let go, and you are gonna turn around, and you are gonna walk out of here without looking back...Okay, kiddo?"

Cadence nodded but didn't answer.

Kieran knew that was her loophole out of breaking promises such as that one. "Promise me, Cadence," He demanded in a stern tone, "Promise me, without looking back."

As she hugged him, Cadence's eyes remained closed as she tried her hardest to hold back her sobs. She hadn't felt so heartbroken before, not since the day she lost Jackson to the Crescent Curse.