Gym Leader Debate
It was lunch time and (Y/N) was surrounded by her first year friends as they chatted. Today's topic had originally been about plans for the future, but the conversation had skewed to job opportunities in the trainer's world. Right now she was explaining the role of gym leader.
"So basically, you have to beat eight specific people to collect badges just so you can battle four even stronger trainers and then you can battle the champion?" Ace summarized.
"Pretty much. Gym leaders act as a gateway to the Elite Four. If you can't beat them, you stand no chance. There are exceptions though. Alola has Trial Captains and Kahunas and only recently established an Elite Four and Galar has a yearly tournament where you rematch gym leaders and other trainers that made it that far before taking on the Champion."
"And you did that whole thing?" Deuce asked.
She smiled. "Yup. It's how I became the Hoenn champion. Now since I'm already the champion of a region, I can't officially challenge a different champion for their title, but I still do the rounds in other regions for the experience."
"Is there a specific order you have to go in?" Jack asked.
"Technically, but gym leaders usually have teams that are interchangeable depending upon the experience of the trainer, though final gym leaders are the exception. You must challenge them last."
Grim then jumped in. "And how does one become a gym leader?"
"There are a few ways, but usually it's one of two: you could either be appointed by the previous leader or you could be chosen by your region's champion to take their place."
"You have that much power?" Ace gasped in surprise.
(Y/N) nodded. "I have to oversee the entire gym circuit to make sure it's running properly. It's a lot of work."
"Are there any prerequisites to being a gym leader?" Their wolf friend queried.
The girl pondered it for a moment. "Well, you should have at least gone on a journey and collect a few badges, maybe even challenged the Elite Four at some point. Really, the biggest hurdle are the gyms themselves. Most gyms have a type specialty equated to them, so it's in the best interest of the previous leader or the champion to pick someone who specializes in that type."
"Okay, so what kind of gym leaders do you think we'd be?" Ace asked. "Like, say I wanted to be a gym leader, what kind of gym would I run."
"Well, you really like Raboot, so maybe you could be a fire gym leader. It would match your hair."
"Ha ha, funny."
The others snorted as she continued. "There are tons of fire type gym leaders, there's even one in my region. I suppose you could take over for Kabu of Galar if you wanted to use a Scorbunny of your own."
"Okay, but what if we wanted to create gyms here in Twisted Wonderland?" Deuce asked.
Grim crossed his arms. "There are no wild Pokémon in Twisted Wonderland."
(Y/N) ignored him. "Well, if you wanted to start from scratch, you'd need to come up with a gym puzzle."
"Gym puzzle?" Jack repeated.
"It's a test to see if you're ready to fight the gym leader. While you're solving it, you'll usually have to challenge other gym trainers and that will usually indicate if you're ready for the leader. So Ace, let's say you're a new fire gym leader, what kind of test would you want people to take before they challenge you?"
He shrugged. "I don't know, maybe like a fire maze or something?"
Deuce quickly raised his hand. "I would have my challengers hatch chicks!"
"That would take way too long!" Ace snapped at him.
(Y/N) laughed. "Well, they don't have to be real. You could have them do tasks to get the 'eggs' to hatch. But what kind of gym leader would you be, Deuce?"
He rubbed his neck. "I'm not sure. I like a lot of (Y/N)'s Pokémon."
"Well, you don't need to do a specific type. Themed gyms are also starting to appear. What if you did a daycare themed gym to match the challenge?"
The bluenette's eyes sparkled at this. "Oh! That sounds great!"
"You could also use a team of first stage Pokémon. You could be a starting gym leader."
Jack grunted. "Well, I would want to use a powerful team, and I'd make my challengers go through rigorous exercise to challenge me!"
(Y/N) grinned. "Sure you don't want a garden based gym, Jack? There are a few cactus Pokémon."
"There are!?" He said excited before looking away with a blush.
She chuckled. "Speaking of garden based gyms, you can't tell me Riddle wouldn't be a Grass type gym leader. He could even have his challengers paint roses red by battling gym trainers."
Ace shivered. "Don't even joke about that."
"Could Trey-senpai have a bakery themed gym?" Deuce suggested.
"Definitely." (Y/N) assured. "There are plenty of food based Pokémon for him to use. But we all know his ace would be Alcremie. His gym could be gathering or prepping ingredients for a cake."
"And Cater's gym could have you getting the best pictures for Magicam." Grim joked.
"What about Ruggie-senpai?" Jack asked.
"No offense Jack, but Ruggie would so be a Dark type leader." (Y/N) said firmly. "They're all about being sneaky, there's a Dark move called Thief, and Mightyena, the Pokémon I think Ruggie most relates to, is a Dark type."
The wolf rubbed his head. "Yeah, can't argue with that."
"What about Leona though?" Grim interceded. "He really likes Luxray but he's way too lazy to be an Electric gym leader!"
"Well, he could be a weather gym leader." The Ramshackle Dorm Leader offered. "He could utilize weather effects like rain or sandstorms. And his challenge could involve you have to change the weather in the gym."
"Or trying not to wake him up." Ace joked. "Okay, Octavinelle next."
"Nya!" Grim yelped. "There's no way some like Floyd could be a gym leader!"
"Oh?" A familiar voice asked. "What's that, earless seal?"
Grim shrieked and jumped on the sleeping Swampert for protection as everyone saw Floyd now grinning at them. Jade and Azul came up from behind.
"Forgive us for intruding." The older twin asked.
"Floyd overheard you mentioning our dorm and wanted to know what you were talking about." Azul explained.
(Y/N) waved it off. "Not a problem. Join in if you want."
The three took seats next to the girl as the boys were still uncomfortable with them after the whole contract accident.
"So what were you talking about before, Shrimpy?" Floyd asked.
"Oh, the guys and I were talking about what kind of gym leaders everyone we know would be."
"Gym leaders?" Azul asked.
(Y/N) quickly got them up to speed and they eagerly joined in the speculation.
"Well for you guys, you could do a couple of things." (Y/N) insisted. "Jade, you and Floyd could easily be double battle gym leaders."
"Double battles?" The older Leech inquired.
"Using two Pokémon instead of one. Same rules apply, just with a bit more challenge since you also have to worry about your partner. You guys could even use counterpart Pokémon."
"Oh, that sounds fun!" Floyd cheered.
"You could even do triple battles with Azul!" (Y/N) added in.
The dorm leader adjusted his glasses. "I would prefer to be a solo leader if I must. It seems much easier to manage."
"Fair enough, but you can't tell me you guys wouldn't be Water gym leaders."
"You could even do battles underwater." Deuce added.
"I would prefer to avoid that." Azul insisted.
"Then how about a cafe gym?" (Y/N) offered, getting his attention.
"Now that does sound exciting. A good business model is to have food and a show."
(Y/N) sweatdropped. "Azul, gym battles are public events, so they're free admission to anyone who'd want to see them.
"Then what's the point?"

Okay, that second one was a bit weak, but I'm a little stumped about the Shenanigans for this chapter. I really appreciate suggestions guys. Thanks for your support.