𝘴𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯

Start from the beginning

Strolling the dark streets of Small Heath to the Garrison, she took a guess hoping the Shelby man would be there. Pushing her way through the double doors, the sound of voices singing pierced through her ears. Leticia's heels on the hardwood floor caught the attention of Grace who looked up.

"What brings you in today, Lettie?" The Burgess woman sent a smile to her friend in greeting.

"Business, Grace." Leticia held her handbag between her fingers.

"Grace," Harry called out, "Take these drinks to the Shelby's in the back room, would ya?"

Walking over to take the tray on the counter, Grace went to pick it up but before she could get far Leticia took it from her hands gently, "I got it, dear. You've got your hands full."

Grace stared dumbfounded. She was a little upset because it gave her the perfect chance to get closer to the blue eyed man, but now that was just another chance that was taken away. Plastering on a convincing smile, the barmaid grinned albeit forcefully. Sending a nod towards the woman, the hazel eyed beauty turned on her heel heading towards the back door. Tightening her arm around her handbag that was placed in the crook of her arm, she twisted the door handle expertly balancing the tray. The presence of the Morelli woman caused an uproar from two Shelby men when they caught sight of her.

"Ah, Voodoo Lass. Good to see ya pretty face, darling." Arthur exclaimed gruffly waving his cards in the air, "You a barmaid now?"

Setting the tray on the table, she handed out the drinks with a laugh, "Just for tonight it seems."

When it came to Thomas's drink, she set the folded paper under his cup in front of him but the man didn't notice for his eyes were still on the Morelli woman since she walked in.

John took his toothpick out of his mouth, "What do you say, Lettie. Stay and play a round of cards."

Grabbing her bag from the crook of her arm, she brought it back in front of her between her hands, "Sorry, boys, will have to take a rain check."

Shifting her ochre orbs to the main Shelby man she came for, she quizzically quirked an eyebrow, "No whiskey today? Good choice."

Squinting his eyes in slight confusion, Thomas went to grab his glass from the table to take a drink. His eye caught the small white paper laying open on the table. Looking up to the woman, she snuck a glance at the corner of her eye with a slight nod of her head as Arthur spoke up.

"Why no whiskey, Tommy? Are you expecting trouble?"

The blue eyed man took the hint completely ignoring his oldest brothers words as he slyly opened the paper under the table reading what was written:
The King is near.

Crumbling the paper in his hand, he caught the Morelli woman's eye with a nod of his own head in acknowledgment.

At that moment the singing from the pubs visitors grew louder, screeching through the walls of the building. John scrunched his nose in what looked like he was in pain, "Jesus Christ, Tommy, what the hell made you let them sing?"

Leticia stopped her proud grin from growing by biting her lip. Thomas stole a quick glance at the hazel eyed beauty thinking back to the coin toss that seemed like it happened a millennium ago.