Love at Last Sight

Content warning: sexual assault, homophobia, self harm
***
[First Name] [Last Name] nervously fiddled with her hair as she stared into the bathroom mirror. She sighed at the reflection. She was looking completely unremarkable as usual. She didn't think she was ugly, but she was someone who very easily faded into the background. Her [eye colour] eyes and [hair colour] hair wasn't really all that special. She adjusted the pins keeping her [hair length] hair out of her face again and put on her biggest smile, only for it to twitch and collapse within a second.

This sucks... I miss my old school.

--

"You sure you don't want me to go in with you?"

[First Name]'s mom asked turning in the driver's seat to look at her.

"It would be kinda embarrassing, I am sixteen. I can do it myself."

Her mom nodded and gave her an awkward hug.

"I've arranged with the principal that someone waits to meet you in the foyer. This person can speak English, so don't worry about your language skills too much."

[First Name] nodded, but was slightly annoyed. She had studied Japanese at her old school and could speak it fairly well.

She walked into her school and tried to look brave, but she couldn't stop her hands from shaking. As she walked across the campus she couldn't help but notice how much boys there were compared to girls. Her shaking hands started nervously fiddling with the straps of her backpack. To make things worse, she was the only one wearing a backpack.

As if it wasn't already obvious that I'm foreign.

After she made it inside the building she stopped and looked around. There were quite a few people standing around and giving her curious glances, but nobody talked to her.

Oh god, what if they don't show?

"Ano..."

[First Name] whipped around suddenly and saw a cute girl with her hair in pigtails standing behind her. [First Name] realised she was probably standing in front of the girl's locker and quickly moved away as her cheeks heated up.

"Excuse me!" [First Name] muttered in Japanese.

The girl giggled.

"No, that's not my locker. I just wanted to ask if you needed help, you looked worried."

[First Name] sighed with relief.

"I'm supposed to meet a guide here, they were going to show me around the school, but they haven't shown up yet."

"Oh?" the shorter girl asked curiously and her face lit up. "Do you know what their name is or something?"

"Ah... I forgot." [First Name] said sheepishly. "All I know is that they speak English..."

The girl nodded and looked thoughtful.

"Probably someone from the student council. Not that any of that is necessary, your Japanese is great! But I should still take you to the student council and Misaki will help you."

The girl grabbed her hand and [First Name] felt like she her head was going to explode from blushing.

"What's your name by the way? I'm Hanazono Sakura, but you can call me Sakura-chan. I bet you don't know about all that Japanese formality stuff, which I think is totally outdated-"

"Are you [Full Name] [Last Name]?"

Both girls stopped in their tracks and turned towards the voice. The tall blonde boy looked at [First Name] with interest and she almost squeaked. He was absolutely stunning and he spoke perfect English.