I Gave You My Best Balloon

Love is a crazy thing. Different people fall in love different ways. And unique people, well, they fall in love in unique ways. I know I did. I went through heartbreak in unique ways, too. As I said, love is crazy. Apparently, so are balloons. Because I fell in love and felt heartbreak, because of a balloon.

--------------------xxx--------------------

"I'm going to be very pretty!" I declared, giving a toothy grin. Mommy smiled, nodding, "Yes, you will be, my little girl." I folded my hands in front of my tummy, going up and down on my toes. I have ten toes - five on each foot. Mommy had once said that I was afraid of them when I was younger. I had giggled at the idea when she told me. Why would somebody be scared of toes? You can paint them lots of shades of pink and purple! But my brothers, Justin and Jacob, don't paint their toes at all. I think that's sad, but mommy said that they were boys, so they don't like to. I think that is weird! 

Me and mommy were the only ones at home who liked to paint our toes. Mommy liked to paint her finger nails, too. I asked if I could paint my finger nails with her but she said that I bite my finger nails, so I can't. I've been trying to stop, and mommy said I was doing really good! She said that I could finally get my nails done because I stopped. Me and mommy were going to a place called a nail salon, where I could get my nails really pretty! Justin and Jacob and daddy weren't coming today, they were doing boy stuff, without pretty pink and purple nails!

Mommy held out her hand to me, and I took it. We were leaving now! "I'm excited," I said simply as we made our way out to mommy's car. It was silver and shiny, and I really liked it. I got in the back seat, because I'm too little for the big seat. I need a special seat, too. I don't mind, though. It has purple and pink flowers and butterflies on it!

Me and mommy were at the nail salon soon. When mommy unbuckled my seat belt I bounced out of the car. I skipped to the door, struggling to open it. Mommy helped me. I ran in, and went up to the lady at a big desk. "I'm getting my nails painted!" I informed her. She smiled a big friendly smile. I liked her smile.

I turned to look at mommy. "I want pink and purple!" I sang, dancing around her. Mommy smiled, and grabbed two bottles of pink and purple. I gasped, the pink and purple bottles mommy picked out were all glittery! I screeched with happiness. Mommy laughed and did something with the lady at the desk, she said she had to sign something. 

Then another lady put me in a chair and told me to take my shoes off. "My finger nails aren't on my feet, they're on my hands," I informed the lady. The lady laughed, "I know. Your mommy paid for you to get both your finger nails and toe nails done." I beamed, and yelled across the room to mommy who was sitting in the waiting room, "I love you!"

Mommy laughed, mouthing the words back to me. I grinned.

--------------------xxx--------------------

"So pretty!" I said as I examined my nails once again. They were all glittery and pink and purple. Mommy and me were walking on the pier. There was a carnival there right now, it was fun! I had a bunch of pink and purple balloons. One was really bright pink, and it was my best balloon. I named it that because I had no other ones like it, and it was big, too.

Mommy and me were walking around.

Then I saw him, a little boy my age, huddled up in a giant jacket.

I pouted, and ran off toward him. Mommy was calling my name over and over, but I ignored her and went straight for him. He flinched when he saw me running to him, so I slowed down. I grabbed my best - my pinkest - balloon and gave it to him. I flashed a smile, and skipped away. 

--------------------xxx--------------------

Little did I know that that tiny act of kindness would leave me to love.

And heartbreak.