Stupid Bloody Letter

Beginne am Anfang

Dear Assistant-Head Auror Harry James Potter, O.M. & O.C.,

You may be aware that the current Minister of Magic, Mr Kingsley Shacklebolt, has ordered an investigation into what it means to be one of the 'Sacred Twenty-Eight' families and a reassessment of egalitarian stance on blood purity which is required for inclusion on the list. It has been agreed that 'blood purity' should not be and cannot be the key criterion for inclusion, especially as many of the old families certainly had Muggle ancestry at some moment in their history. Rather, consideration should also be made of ancestral line of the family as well as family's contribution to the wizarding world...

Harry was utterly ignorant of the investigation. Though, thinking about it, he vaguely remembered Mione saying something about such things. The letter continued:

We are delighted to inform you that the Department of Genealogy has been investigating your familial history. As you are probably aware, the Potter family is one of the oldest wizarding lines, dating back to Ignatus Peverell (1214-1292) and Linfred of Stinchcombe (1203-1289). In fact, although no longer a factor, the bloodline of the Potters was indeed one of the exceptionally rare 100% Pureblood lines until James Fleamont Potter married Lily Evans (Muggleborn) in 1979.

We believe your family's exclusion from the 'Sacred Twenty-Eight' was due to political manoeuvrings and differences in the 1930s when Henry Potter's beliefs did not fit with those of the Minister for Magic at that time. Therefore, it has been decreed that the Potters' rightful place amongst the Sacred Twenty-Eight should be invested, as should your great-grandfather's familial position on the Wizengamot, which now passes to you as the sole heir of the Potter family.

Harry rolled his eyes, Kingsley had been trying to persuade him to take an honouree place on the Wizengamot ever since he's argued for fairness at the Malfoys's trial. He said the Wizengamot needed people like Harry to police those who got carried away by the power of their position. So, now the cunning sod had managed it this way...

Our research has also uncovered that your ancestor, Ralston Potter (1589-1652), was a member of the old Wizarding aristocracy and was a titled peer. Your familial history does not show when this title was endowed as it seems your ancestors were non-plussed by their Dukedom, preferring to pursue a humbler existence. Our investigations have uncovered through your family's long-standing ties with Godric's Hollow and tracing the unaccounted peerage title of the local area, that you are rightfully addressed as Lord Harry James Potter, Duke of Beaumont.

Therefore, as of 00hrs, 31st July 2002, you will inherit both your hereditary title of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Potter and your position on the Wizengamot...

Harry's eyes nearly popped out of his head and he snapped his mouth shut. And, honestly, had the Ministry learnt nothing, he didn't care about this crap and he certainly didn't want it, thank you very much. Lord Harry Potter, he sneered to himself. It was fucking laughable!

Then he saw the name at the bottom of the letter and released a sharp snort of derision. He grabbed up an internal memo and scribbled: Ha. Ha. Parkinson. Good one! Have you nothing better to do with your time? H. Potter. And sent it flying off to the Department of Genealogy.

He leant under the desk and scratched Hercules's ear again.

An internal memo landed on his desk as he made his way through a pile of reports that had come to him from Robards.

To the Most High, Noble and Potent Prince His Grace Harry, Duke of Beaumont,

If you could spare me fifteen-minutes of your harried time, I would be more than willing to run through the formalities of our diligent research and legally hand to you receipt of your worthy titles in preparation for your forthcoming birthday.