chapter nine.

The next morning I woke up exhausted, going to the mall with Lainey is like taking a four year old through a Toys R Us. On Black Friday. In the Mall of America. Needless to say, when we arrived home that night, I was more than ready for Lainey to crash. Michael, Lainey and I decided to see a film and go skating, which resulted them crashing on my couch at 2am as we stumbled home in hysterical laughter over who fell on their ass the hardest whilst skating.

However, now it's 11 in the morning and I'm waking up to muffled curses from the kitchen and dishes clashing. I rub my eyes and stretch; arm, elbow, wrist, hand. Leg, knee, ankle, foot. Slowly, I wake myself up enough to look around and check what's going on. Michael is still fast sleep on the couch adjacent to mine, cuddled to a small couch pillow with a blanket laying haphazardly over him. 

I was knocked out of my thoughts when the kitchen fire detectors started shattering my eardrums, and I heard a "shit, shit, shit," by a voice I knew all too well.

"Lainey, what the hell did you do?" I whisper-screamed at my 17 year old baby. Lainey is seventeen and my absolute best friend, but the girl has the maturity and grace of a child.

"I tried to toast my pop-tart! Quick, help before Michael wakes up," Lainey whispered back as she stood on a stack of pots and pans and fanning the fire detector. On the floor across from her were the two charred pop-tarts, which looked more like thin bricks at this point.

"I think I should do this," I advise Lainey as I help her down and pull up the stool to fan the detectors. Soon after, they came to a halt and in came a sleep deprived Michael.

Rubbing his eyes, Michael said in his raspy sleepy voice, "I don't even want to know what Lainey did." His accent was even thicker, deeper. Michael's voice swirled around me and I was almost taken aback by it. He was now leaning against the kitchen counter stretching and yawning and it took everything in my power not to start drooling. When he was done yawning, his eyes met mine and I quickly glanced away, feeling like a total fangirl. I quickly got to putting the pots and pans away when I was met with an inquisitive Lainey dropping two more pop-tarts in the toaster.

"Turn the toaster down this time," I advise Lainey as she gives me a nod.

"I knew that! What do you guys think I am, a dumbass?" Lainey asks, which was met by complete silence as Michael and I exchange glances and a few giggles.

"Thanks, nobody gets a share of my pop-tarts now," Lainey said grumpily to both of us.

"Those are technically mine, you stole them out of my pantry," I tease, sitting up on a counter top. Next to my hand was a note that read

"Had 2 go into work early, saw you guys asleep and didn't want 2 wake U. See you later, text me if U need anything -Mum xx"

I sigh as Lainey is trying to defend her pop-tart thievery. However, as soon as the pop-tarts come out Michael is the first one to run up and grab one, speeding off with it.

"Michael you little shit come back here with my tart! You thief!" I hear Lainey yell at Michael as he dashes away from her, hoping to save the pop-tart from her wrath.

Crumbling the note up, I throw it in the trash bin and and make the journey upstairs to my room. I put my phone on the dock speakers and press play, queuing an old Weezer tune to filter through the speakers.

"Michael, drop the tart. We can end this right here, right now. Don't make me do this the hard way," Lainey negotiates in the hall with Michael. Little after that, I have Michael rushing into my room and locking the door behind him swiftly. 

"Michael you cannot do this! You are such a meme!" I hear Lainey yell through the door as she bangs on it a few times.

"Yeah, a meme with a pop-tart!" Michael fires back.

"That makes no sense, give it back!" Lainey pounds on the door.

"You two are literal children," I say as I walk over to the door, unlocking it and stopping Lainey from pouncing on Michael. "You both get a tart, now eat and shut the hell up already."

----

A/N: Sorry, this is kind of a filler chapter to let you guys know I'm still alive and planning on updating. Leave a comment if you want me to keep updating, I didn't know people would want to read more because the beginning was so poorly written! xx