t w o

Journal of Yang Jungwon

Wednesday, September 25, 1887 at 5:50 PM– I am almost at the mansion, and I am excited to meet Mr. Sim. He seems nice after a few letters we wrote to each other. Also, the mansion confuses me because I am not sure of what purpose it serves. How could anyone stand living in it? It looks like it is haunted by mysterious creatures. I will give an update of my visit tonight. Hopefully it will not take forever to run the inspection.

Date? 10:00 PM?– I do not know how, but I was not wrong about that building. Something was off from the start. I will explain from the beginning:

The mansion was something that I had never seen before. The building was surrounded by iron fences, a gate, and had neat landscaping. The house itself had old, intricate architecture and it was three stories high. Every detail was beautiful, but also ominous at once.

I grabbed the handle of an expensive-looking door knocker looming over me and almost immediately after using it, I was greeted by whom I assumed was Mr. Sim.

"Hello, this is Jungwon. It's nice to finally meet you, Mr. ...-"

"Sim. Though I've already told you that you can call me Jake. We can pretty much say we're friends now," Jake said warmly. "Now, friendliness aside, you've got some work to do." He laughed lightly and let me inside.

I started immediately and made a lot of progress by myself. Every room was dark with either no windows, or had curtains with candles or oil lamps mounted on the walls. It looked like this building must have been an inn at some point because most of the rooms were bedrooms, and there was a small dining area with long tables. I went about as I usually did with each identical room, when one caught my eye. It looked like a cross between a playroom, nursery, and storage room. Toys were strewn across the floor and on the tops of chests and tables. This room also had more light in it, from a large window that connected to the ceiling.

"Hey." Jake had appeared behind me, silently.

"Don't startle me like that," I replied, almost yelling. I tried to hide any sign of being scared or surprised. I was on the floor, inspecting a loose floorboard. "You've got something here. Seems like this place isn't used much either."

Jake picked up a toy next to the board and sat down next to me; he stared at the plank blankly.

"Oh, don't worry, it's just a minor fix. Don't worry about the cost or-"

"Truth or dare?"

"Huh?"

"I said: truth or dare?" Jake asked again. It felt like everything I had been saying went through one ear and out the other.

"Do you think I'm a child?"

"Yes, actually. You're just a sixteen year old apprentice," Jake replied with a smirk. "So I'll ask you one last time. Truth or dare?"

"Dare," I said, feeling my childish ways resurfacing, "and I am actually seventeen."

"I dare you to...jump out the window!" Jake exclaimed in a way that was hard to determine whether it was said jokingly or not.

There was a moment of awkward silence between us. I was definitely not going to do that, since we were on the third story. Why would he even say that? He sounded so different compared to when we talked back and forth in letters. I guess you can never trust people anymore.

"Give me a truth instead," I said, hiding my nervousness and confusion.

"Ugh fine, you baby," I guess I didn't hide it well. "Tell me your darkest secret."

I thought for a moment. I don't think I've done anything worth hiding, plus why would I tell him? I started to play with my fingers.

"You tell me first. I don't have any secrets worth telling."

Jake laughed, "Alright, alright. I was just trying to poke some fun at you." He moved in front of me, so I could see him at eye level. "As for my secret...hm. I guess I can show you."

I wasn't expecting him to actually show me, and I was definitely not prepared for what was about to happen next. The sun was starting to set, and the room began to dim. Jake was still staring at me in the eyes when he said, "Don't move." I was confused, but I stayed still nonetheless. I don't know why, but I was paralyzed.

He smiled and then said, "This won't hurt."

Suddenly everything was alright, and I didn't panic anymore. Jake leaned over to my right, where I couldn't see him anymore. His hand rested on top of mine. I didn't bother to turn around and see what he was doing.

I could feel hot breath on the side of my neck, and two sharp points penetrate my skin. I didn't feel anything except for an odd tingling sensation. Jake's lower jaw grazed the cuts he made, and licked the blood that started to pour out of them. I fell backwards, but he continued to drink the blood that ran down my neck while on top of me. The whole time, my thoughts were foggy. As I laid there, unable to move while staring at the ceiling, I slowly drifted away.

All of that leads up to where I am now. I must have passed out because I have been thrown outside in what I am assuming is a courtyard. My neck is throbbing and sitting in the sun is not doing it any justice. For the past—I don't know how long—the pain has gotten worse, and it has been slowly traveling down my arms. I am surprised that I didn't die, considering how much blood I lost. Blood is covering my entire right side, and some is in my hair. The ground is soaked. It's vain to think of appearances while dying, but I can't help but think about taking a bath and putting on clean clothes. I guess I'm paying for those thoughts while the crust of blood clings to my hair and skin.

I should probably look for help before it becomes too hard to move. There has to be someone other than Jake in that residency. Maybe they will have something to eat while I am there. I feel like I have been starved for days, and nausea is starting to build up, threatening to beat me in the race for my rescue.

Goodbye for now.

A/N:
omg this was so fun to make, but also really hard because i had to figure out the storyline. anyways idk when the next chapter will come out, but itll be soon

i just realized that i made jungwon sound rlly dumb...im so sry 😭