Camping Gone Wrong

Jughead strummed the guitar while Archie and his friends sat around him. The sky was covered with a thousand stars, and the weather was perfect for a camping night. It was Veronica and Betty's idea since they wanted a getaway after the incident that happened last week...They still couldn't forget the hanging body outside their school, tied to the light pole with the letters, 'Who will be next?'

In fact, everyone needed a getaway. None of them liked the aura and the mumblings that went around the school. Principal Weatherbee couldn't give them the week off as they had exams, but now that summer vacation had started, they could forget whatever happened—at least for one night—and let their minds wander elsewhere.

The only person who didn't come was Kevin. He and his father decided to go on a road trip south of Riverdale. Kevin did tell them all to record for him since he would surely miss them all. The assignment was given to Reggie and his Bulldogs. They each recorded with their respective cameras and joked around; some chugging their beers, others stuffing their mouth with sausages, or making someone a human dart. Everything was just chaotic, but it was perfect.

Tony looked at Cheryl and noticed that she seemed a little off.

"Hey," She nudged Cheryl's shoulders, "What's wrong?"

Cheryl looked at Tony with a bitter smile and shook her head, "It's nothing."

"You're thinking about last week, aren't you?"

Cheryl's silence answered Tony's question. Tony sighed softly and hugged Cheryl, squeezing her a little.

"You know what? I think I know what will take your mind off of some things," Tony said proudly with a smirk.

"What?" Cheryl frowned. Tony took Cheryl's hand and got up, pulling her girlfriend with her and dragging her towards the forest. Tony knew just what would make Cheryl happy and she wasn't going to lose this opportunity.

Archie and Veronica noticed the two of them depart into the woods as well and glanced at each other.

"You know, after what happened last week Archekins, I feel that many of us have gotten distant," Veronica said softly.

"You're right, Ronnie," Archie nodded and looked around at the couples and the partnerless guys and gals who sat in a group and talked with each other, "It was as though time had come to a complete stop..."

Archie then glanced at Jughead and saw Betty just staring at Jughead as though he was a statue. Her gaze was filled with love for him and for some reason, Archie frowned a little and looked away from her.

"But I think everyone's getting back to normal now," Archie smiled. The burning fire in front of him made his red hair stand out even more. Veronica smiled and pecked Archie's lips.

"I also want to thank you for coming with me. Being at Pembrooke was just driving me crazy."

"Yeah, anything for you, Veronica."

Veronica wrapped her arms around Archie and leaned her head on his shoulder. Archie kissed the top of her head and unconsciously glanced back at Betty. Jughead played the last note before he put the guitar down and sipped his beer.

"That was perfect," Betty said.

"Thanks," Jughead smiled, "It's just what I wrote on my way, and—" He held Betty's hand and shifted close to her, "I thought of you while doing so."

Betty blushed and the two leaned forward to kiss each other. Archie wished he hadn't seen Jughead and Betty kissing, because, for some damn reason, he felt as though somebody was heating his heart up with the same campfire that rested in front of him. He quickly looked away and cleared his throat, clapping his hands to gain everyone's attention.