Brawl Stars Short Story #2 - Leondy

Start from the beginning

"You don't remember?" Leon raised an eyebrow, "You're sleeping over tonight." He grinned.

Sandy stared at his hands and flexed his fingers, trying to recall what had happened before his bizarre dream. All that he could remember was a figure with glossy violet eyes and a night sky. "I was just . . ." Sandy murmured groggily. "I think I saw my mother." The red and blue lights of the television reflected off of his nearly expressionless face in the dimly lit room.

"Tara?"

"No, my-" Sandy winced, and he cast his eyes to the ground, ashamed. "The woman who gave birth to me."

Leon's grin faltered, his mouth going agape. "Oh." It was as if a beat dropped throughout the room, and suddenly the two boys sat in a vivid silence, so palpable that one could slice it with a knife.

"I'm sorry," Leon said, after a moment.

"I-It's nothing," Sandy replied. He closed his eyes and forced a smile, "Tara's the greatest mom I could ever ask for. I shouldn't think about it."

"I'm always here if you need anything, ya know. The doors of my room are wiiiiide open." Leon inched closer to Sandy, who giggled.

"Thank you," He mumbled, rubbing his eyes. His face was shaded from the dim light, though Leon could make out the now genuine smile on his face. Sandy bit his lip.

"Welp, I guess that just leaves the two of us here," Leon smirked slyly. "Alone." He winked, "Together." Leon placed a hand on Sandy's cheek and pulled him closer. Sandy's heartbeat grew so loudly that he could feel it wrenching out of his chest. Pink blossomed on his cheeks, and he immediately shied away from Leon's touch, swatting away his embrace. Leon looked disappointed.

"Um," Sandy blurted, "Where are Nita and Bo?"

Leon sighed, digging into his pocket. He brought out his lollipop and tossed it into his mouth, quite impressively. "I don't know, I think that they went to train. Nita's working on her coordination with her bear, Bruce." He picked up his GameBoy, which was thrown to the side of the couch previously, and scrolled through playable characters on the television. "I have to admit, they're a pretty great team. Not as good as us, though." Leon nudged Sandy, gesturing to the console. "Speaking of teams, wanna help me pass this level? I've been stuck on it for the past half-hour."

"Sure," Sandy remarked. Leon handed him another controller, which he gladly took. "What are we playing?"

Leon grinned, "It's called Phantom Bounty," He explained. It was almost as if a fire lit in his brown eyes, and Sandy stifled a laugh. "The goal is basically to gather those points over there, by defeating the mini-bosses-" Leon pointed to an outstretch of deserted land on the TV screen, littered in about thirty glowing, purple sparks of light. Sandy noticed small drones peeking out from behind the sparks, shielded under the cover of dusk. "-And then, once the timer on the top runs out, a larger boss comes. The more points we collect, the weaker the King Boss is."

"That sounds fairly easy," Sandy tapped his chin. Leon shook his head.

"No, I . . ." Leon took a deep breath, visibly troubled. He looked left and right as if to make sure no one else was watching, and then his voice dropped to a low tone. "At best, I've only been able to get three points."

Sandy's eyes bulged, and he had to put his hands over his mouth to keep himself from bursting into laughter. "Are you serious?" He muttered in disbelief after he had gathered himself.

Leon looked like he was about to cry. His lip wobbled and his eyes watered, glazed in the colorful reflection of the TV. "Yes."

Sandy patted Leon on the head, confused on how he could be so invested in the game. "It's okay," He reassured him, "I'll help you win in no-time!" chirped Sandy.