i

Posted: 8 Mar 2015 9:09 pm

☹ ☹ ☹

I'm so nervous, my arms and legs are shaking. mum said she would drive me to school, so here I am waiting for her by the car in the driveway of my house. mum is running around frantically, as per usual. she isn't the most organised person in the world. actually, she's really a klutz.

"ivy, hunny, can you please come here for a second?" I hear my mums quiet voice through the window. I sigh and walk inside to see my mum laying on the floor, tangled in telephone wires.

"how did you manage to do that?" I ask in disbelief, walking over to her and untangling her. she whimpers, standing up.

"we should go before I make you any more late." mum rushes out, grabbing her handbag and pulling me out of the house. she accidentally slams the front door, which causes a few ornaments in the house to fall on the floor and smash. I roll my eyes, heading to the car. mum jumps in the front seat while I buckle up.

"let's go." I say, looking out the window at the houses. mum pulls out of the driveway and drives towards ridgewood east, which is where I will now be attending school. I used to go to ridgewood west, but some things happened there. I couldn't stay in that school.

ten minutes pass and mum pulls into the massive gravel ridgewood east car park. she sighs as she turns off the ignition. I take a deep breath.

"this is it," mum says, turning to face me, "have fun, sweetie."

"sure," I nod my head and she gives me a small smile.

"shake all of the nerves away," she hops out of the car, followed by me, "you'll be okay. just don't let them bully you." I nod again, looking down at my feet while we walk towards the school doors. mum presses a button on her keys and the car locks behind us.

"I'm so nervous, mum," I whisper, looking up at her.

"it's okay, you'll be okay," she reassures me.

"what if it happens again? I don't want to be the reason that we move to western australia..." I say frantically, my nerves growing.

"shh, we won't have to move there if the rumours don't spread again." she whispers, hushing me.

"they weren't rumours, mum, they were true." I whisper back.

"no, they weren't." mum says sternly. "don't believe them. what they said was not true, you hear me?"

I quickly nod my head as we reach the front doors.

"okay, I've organised for the principal to have your gear all gathered and ready for when you arrive. she'll also show you to your first class. her name is regan bullard. so, it's ms bullard." mum explains, rubbing my arms in comfort and support.

"alright," I say, simply.

"alright, you'll do fine," mum smiles at me, "now go get 'em, tiger." mum taps my shoulder and sends me off into the school corridor. I can see a tall woman with jet black hair leaning against the lockers at the end of the hallway. she smiles at me and I return the favour, adding a small wave while I'm at it.

"you must be ivy warner." the tall woman says to me. she must be ms bullard.

"yes, and you're ms bullard?" she nods and I smile again. she pulls open a locker behind her and points inside of it.

"this is your locker. your gear and belongings are in here." she looks back at me with a wide smile, "I hope your education and time here is well spent. talk to me if you ever need anything." and with that, she pulls out my schedule and the combination to my locker and she leads me to my first class.

"this is your first subject." she smiles, opening the door slightly.

"math?" I ask, looking down at my timetable. she nods, opening the door all the way and calling the teacher over.

"mrs bevan, hi, this is ivy warner. she's new to the school -- today is her first day." ms bullard explains. I smile slightly, my nerves picking up once again as I peek in the room to see a class full of students my age.

"hello, miss warner." mrs bevan greets me. I smile and wave. "come in."

"thank you, mrs bevan." ms bullard wonders off down the corridor, leaving me to waltz into my first class.

I walk in, staring at the class that sits before me as I stand up the front next to mrs bevan.

"class, this is ivy." mrs bevan introduces, smiling around the classroom. I nervously smile.

a boy with bluish purple hair raises his hand and mrs bevan points to him with an expectant look.

"is she poisonous?" he smirks while three other boys snicker around him. I frown.

"mr clifford, as much as I appreciate that you pay attention to how ivy is poisonous, your inappropriate commentation is not welcomed at this time." mrs bevan says sternly.

"no, it's fine mrs bevan," I say, waving her anger off and looking from her to the smirking boy seated at the back of the class, "he'll just have to find out the answer to that question for himself." I smirk right back at him, mirroring him.

this should be interesting.