𝖘𝖓𝖔𝖜

𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘮𝘦 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘪'𝘮 𝘯𝘰 𝘭𝘰𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘳
𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘨 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘣𝘦𝘢𝘶𝘵𝘪𝘧𝘶𝘭?
𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘮𝘦 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘪'𝘷𝘦 𝘨𝘰𝘵 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨
𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘮𝘺 𝘢𝘤𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘴𝘰𝘶𝘭?

The girl flinches slightly at the loud blast that rings through her ears. She feels the vibration in her ankles and places her hand on the cold, cement wall for balance. The soldiers that stand outside of the little corridor look around with their weapons poised, ready to attack.

It's the Avengers.

She had heard stories of them by the soldiers back at headquarters, but now that they were actually here- her stomach churned at the thought of seeing them. She itched to remove the thick gloves that encased her hands, but breathed deeply through her nose and surpressed the urge. She wouldn't do anything until her superiors ordered her to- her superiors being the two older people she had been placed with that morning.

It was a very familiar looking girl and boy- she didn't know why they were familiar, but she shook off the feeling and had set her face into the blank expression she knew to assume after so many years of training. "Eto vashe nachal'stvo. Slushay ikh. These are your superiors. Listen to them." The guard had said before pivoting and leaving the girl with the not-so-strangers.

They had stood shoulder to shoulder, glancing at her occasionally. Well, the boy looked at her and gave her reassuring smiles. The girl had cast her some dark looks but offered nothing else. She had been told their names, but was embarrassed to admit she hadn't remembered them. It probably didn't matter anyway, she wouldn't see them after this. 

"We will not yield. The Americans sent their circus freaks to test us. We will send them back in bags. No surrender!" Strucker, a big man who the girl knew was in charge, yelled to the soldiers, who echoed back with a similar "No surrender!" cheer. Strucker then leans to the side towards another man and whispers something. The boy next to her scoffs.

"Come on, we're not just standing around. We signed up for this." He grabbed the older girl's arm, who nodded. As they started walking towards the stairwell in the corridor, the girl began to follow, but they abrubtly stopped. 

"No, not you." The girl said, maybe a little harsher than she meant to. The boy look at her, then to the little girl, his eyes agreeing. 

"But I was told- I was told to stay with you." She said, her voice bouncing off of the cold walls. 

"It's not safe. Just stay here." The boy said, a little nicer than the girl. Then they turned and went down the stairs. 

The girl's hair blew back as the boy sped them away faster than she could blink. She was left standing there alone, unsure and a little scared, but she wouldn't admit that. She fiddled with the button on the wrist of her gloves, the leather making her hands sweat. She hated wearing the little hand prisons, but the guards made her whenever she left her room- they called her "unpredictable", whatever that word meant. 

The girl glanced around the corner of the corridor, looking for direction. Her whole life was led by instruction on what to do next, and when she didn't have any she felt a weird sensation in the pit of her stomach- a feeling that made her want to start flying in the air and bounce off of the walls, a feeling that made her want to zip through an open forest and climb the tallest tree she could find. She never told anyone about this feeling, not that she had anyone to tell.