01 / meeting

"Is it possible for me to become a hero, even if I don't have a quirk?" Izuku looked away. He wasn't sure he could face All MIght with such a loaded question. "I'm a normal kid without any powers. Could I ever hope to be someone like you?"

The silence was deafening – only filled with the sound of traffic below.

Izuku was breathless.

All Might only let out a short breath before he spoke.

"Pro heroes are always having to risk their lives. Some villains just can't be beaten without powers. So can you be a hero? Not without a quirk."

____________________________________

Standing at the register and watching as people drifted in and out of the building was boring. Despite having the company of the many "readers" who'd found home in the bookstore, none of them paid much attention to the green-haired male who stood silently behind the counter, doodling on a small piece of paper in silent boredom.

It was quite annoying, because despite the knowledge he had of the books that surrounded them, none of them wanted his help.

For example, the lady with the red hair and sweater tied around her waist – whose friend was shoving a book in her hand and insisting that she read it, despite her hesitance at just the title. And even though she tried to let her friend down slowly and explain that she wasn't interested, her friend continued, insisting that "Once you get into it you'll really love it."

And so the lady accepted her fate almost solemnly, like she was accepting her death sentence — as her friend pushed her towards the register with her own two books in hand. Even though the friend had been chattering loudly since they'd both entered the place, she quieted down instantly at the sight of Midoriya.

"Did you both find everything you needed?" he asked them with a smile.

Both nodded before looking away, avoiding all forms of conversation with him. Not that he cared – he didn't want to talk to them about their terrible taste in books anyways.

"Have a good day," he handed them their separate bags, the smile dropping as soon as they turned around so he could slump back against the counter.

It was the same thing everyday – blurring together into a small part of the huge mess he called his life.

There was a certain part of him that couldn't believe he was stuck here. Even if it was for his own goddamn protection, it was never like him to sit still.His mind never could. It was always churning and working – but the only thing for him to analyze right now was the boring people that walked in and out of the store, or books.