I Killed Time to Survive

Start from the beginning

I gasped and jumped back, my heart in a frenzy as I looked over at the grinning, freckled kid surrounded by his friends.

Another water balloon flew towards me, rupturing against my hip as I stood there, discombobulated.

A frazzled mother apologized over the obnoxious guffaws of the hellions in her yard.

A storm of colorful projectiles soared towards me, and I snapped out of my stupor, running as fast as I could until I was right outside David's house.

Trembling and soaking wet, I checked my phone.

5:29pm.

Did … did I just go back in time?

How?

I yelped as my ringtone chimed. It was David.

"H-hello?"

"Imran, where are you?"

"I … I'm right outside your place. But I was in your place, and there were two robbers there and they caught me and threw me in your bedroom wardrobe … and … and now I'm back out here … in the past somehow. I don't know what happened ..."

“What took you to my bedroom?”

“I … it was a mess,” I said, startled by the unexpected severity of his tone. “I was on my way to the study to water your plants and saw the mess and—”

“Why did you go in?”

“I didn’t. I tried to run but they caught me. David, what's going on?"

He remained silent.

"David?"

"Yes, you went back in time. Right now, I need you to—”

I gawked. "Wait, how?"

"I'll explain everything later, I promise. But right now I need you to help me stop the robbers from causing any damage to my property."

"I … okay? Should I call the police?"

“No!” He coughed, composing himself. “No, I need you to go back in and tell them ‘what you’re looking for has been sold’. The moment they hear that, they’ll leave.”

“Do you know them?”

“I’m certain they’re after a coveted antique I got at an auction.” He let out a grateful sigh. “You’re a wonderful friend and I really appreciate this. I promise I’ll reward you for your help.”

“Oh, let’s not worry about that right now,” I said, perking up.

"Good luck. Call me once it's over."

"Of course."

I hung up and hustled up David’s porch, fumbling with the keys as my hands shook with lingering adrenaline. As I kicked off my shoes, I shot an uneasy glance at the stairs leading up.

I had no idea what was going on, but the sooner I got rid of the robbers, the sooner I'd learn how I jumped back in time.

With a deep breath, I walked up. The dresser drawer was ajar, but the bedroom was in perfect condition, just as David would’ve left it.

Was this a different timeline? Or had the robbers not gotten to the bedroom yet? The last time, I did spend a few minutes watering the plants before I came up here ...

I screamed as someone tackled me from the back. “Who are you?” a familiar voice asked as the man it belonged to pinned me to the floor.

“I w-water the plants,” I wheezed, squashed beneath him.