Chapter 6

My heart was still racing by the time I got back to the kitchen, Thomas looked up and frowned at my appearance. "Are you alright Adelaide? You look very flustered" I nodded my head in reassurance and smiled politely "Is there any food left Thomas?" he chuckled slightly and placed a plate of food in front of me and I immediately dug in, glad to have a distraction. God that Captain has a temper on him. Once we were done eating Thomas held out his hand "Come on Addy, let me introduce you to the crew" I smirked and stuffed some biscuit in my mouth. "Thomas I really don't think the crew has any desire to get to know me,  especially after the looks they all gave me this morning" It's always the same, every time I join a new crew, I looked down at the half eaten biscuit in my hand "If I had biscuit for every crewmen that I had to win over I would be as big as a house!" he rolled his eyes at my example and claimed my hand. "You'll be fine Adelaide, you've certainly faced worse than this" I mumbled underneath my breath but allowed Thomas to guide me through the tunnels beneath the ship. Eventually the sound of laughter filled the air and a crowd of gambling, drunken, fighting men came into view. "Everyone I would like to introduce you to Adelaide!" Thomas shouted over the noise. Slowly every head turned to me with eyes narrowed with unspoken suspicion. The once loud room became deathly silent and I had to control the urge rolled my eyes at their reaction and attempted a charming smile.
"Hello Lads, Names Adelaide but you can call me Addy!" nobody spoke at first until an older gentleman with a big grey bushy beard and long grey hair spoke up. "We mean no disrespect to you miss, It's just that it's awful bad luck to have a women aboard our ship and most of the men are concerned you've cursed as all" I bit my lip trying to think of the right thing to say. This wasn't the first time I've been told this and it certainly wouldn't be the last. I began pacing around the room, pondering how I can help make this situation better. An idea hit me. "Alright crew, I understand how things work on the big blue and I am certainly not going to disregard the suspicions you gents have" regardless of how ridiculous they are. "So here's what I suggest, When I sailed with Captain Jasper O'Brian and his crew I was given three trials to prove I was one of them and much to their shock I smashed every single one of those trials! So, my idea is, you give me three tasks of your choosing and if I win against you lot then you treat me as one of your own and forget every superstition you've ever thought about me... and if I fail I will jump on a row boat and paddle all the way back home to jolly old England. Do we have an agreement?" The crew all muttered to each other deciding on whether this was a good idea, I waited patiently for a response when old bushy beard came over and held out his hand to me.
"It's a deal miss" I smiled and shock his hand in agreement. This should be fun.

I waited on deck whilst the crew decided what my first trial would be. It was ridiculous that I have to do these stupid trials in the first place! Just because I'm a women...but a girls got to do what a girls go to do and I am more than ready for any challenge they throw my way. Foot steps from behind interrupt my trail of thought. "Working hard I see.." Captain Charles drawled. I rolled my eyes at him but didn't turn around and continued leaning against the side of the ship. "Actually Captain I'm waiting here whilst your crew decide on the challenges I need to do to prove my worth" "I see" The captain says standing next to me "I would be interested to see what my crew have in store for you.." his voiced laced with sarcasm. I was about to retort when the door  opened and out walked bushy beard with a gleam in his eyes, Captain Charles dismissed himself and went to take over from the quartermaster who was currently driving the ship. I turned back to face bushy beard "Right miss, we have the first challenge ready for you, your job is to climb to the top of the main mast without using the shroud, cross the rope to the foremast and then climb down without using the shrouds then run down and hit this barrel of rum all before your time runs out" he said shaking the sand time in his hand. Interesting choice. They certainly aren't going to make this easy. "Very well, when does the challenge start?" His lips smiled beneath his beard in what could have been approval. He looked me dead in the eye and flipped the sand time. "Now"