Aunt Jill looked between Vincent and me.  And then, as though something instantly clicked, she burst out laughing, ruffling up her son’s hair.  “What has Brianne told you?” she asked after her laughter became contained.

Vincent pouted.  “She said he was the boogie man and he’ll eat me!”

I bit my lip to keep from laughing.  I wanted to see how long the charade would last, but I could my mom’s stare on my back.  So, with a small sigh, I decided to confess.  “I was just kidding, bud.”

Vincent huffed, placing his hands on his tiny hips.  That was another similarity between him and his mother.  “Oh,” was all he said before turning and running away, probably to play with his other siblings.

“So, where’s the rest of the crew?” my mom asked as Vincent scampered away.

“They’re outside,” Aunt Jill replied.  “Rick’s making a ton of hamburgers and hot dogs.”  She turned to Dannon.  “Are you a vegetarian, hon?”

Dannon shook his head.  “No, ma’am.”

I glanced at Kyla and we both laughed softly.  Ma’am?  That was so old-fashioned, especially for Aunt Jill.

Aunt Jill seemed shocked too, for she stared at him for a moment, blinking silently.  And then she put on a broad smile, saying, “Oh, just call me Jill!”

Dannon shifted on his feet awkwardly, a small smile on his face.  “Okay,” he murmured, looking around.  His eyes were wide in what I assumed was admiration.  I wondered how big his house was, not for the first time—I mean, you have to always wonder how big the popular people’s houses are.  He seemed perfectly fine in my house, but here he seemed like he felt so out of place.  Was his house as big as mine then?

Before any of us could even attempt to start up another conversation, Dannon’s phone sprang to life.  He jumped as though torn out of a reverie before tossing us all apologetic glances.  He dished his phone out of his jean pocket.  He checked the screen, biting his lip.  “It’s my dad,” he said softly.  He shot me a look that I couldn’t decipher.  “I’m sorry, I have to take this.”

I watched as he walked a little ways away—just far enough to be out of ear-shot—and answered the phone, speaking softly.

“He seems a little shy,” Aunt Jill said softly, nodding in Dannon’s direction.

I didn’t get that.  He was probably the least shy guy that I knew.  So why was he acting like this?  Didn’t he feed off the energy of people?  I thought absolutely nothing could make him feel uncomfortable.  Since, you know, he was always in a crowd.  But, apparently, I was wrong.

“He’s such a sweet boy,” my mom piped in from beside me.  She smiled at my dad.  “Isn’t he, hon?”

My dad nodded from beside my mom.  “Mhm,” he murmured disinterestedly.  I snorted out a laugh.  He wasn’t even paying attention.  He was probably already outside, hanging out with Uncle Rick and Uncle Dorner.  In his mind he was laughing, having a good time.  Not standing here awkwardly in the doorway.

I looked at Kyla.  “I don’t get why he’s acting so shy,” I muttered, nudging her slightly.  “I mean, he was nothing like this at my house.”

Kyla turned away from Dannon and switched her gaze to me.  She grinned.  “Your house is considerably smaller than Jill’s,” she pointed out.  “And he’s two and a half hours away from the comforts of his home.  Give him a break.  You’d be this nervous, too.”

Seeing how I was exactly the same situation—excluding the fact that I’d been used to this house since birth—I found it incredibly hard to believe that I’d be that nervous, too.