Hypno's Lullaby // Muke

Start from the beginning

Oh little children you can not leave

For you your families will grieve

Minds unraveling at the seams

Allowing me to haunt their dreams

Do not wail and do not weep

It's time for you to go to sleep

Little children you were not clever,

Now you'll stay with me forever.”

The first thing he notices is that the rock he’s holding seems to be shrinking, and as he looks down on his hands Michael realises that he’s no longer an eleven year old. He’s a lot taller than he was back then and his clothes has transformed into a pair of skinny jeans and a sweater.

He has changed, but the surroundings hasn’t. He’s still in the forest, alone as someone’s closing in on him.

“Luke!” yelling when someone’s getting closer and closer, someone who isn’t the ten year old he’s been looking for, is probably a bad idea but Michael can feel the panic build up inside him and he needs to find Luke, needs to take him home and make sure he’s safe.

“Come little children,

come with me…” the voice is a lot closer now and Michael’s sure he’ll be able to see whatever it is in just a few moments and by now his heart is beating so hard he’s sure it’ll break his ribs. He wants to leave, wants to run away, but he can’t leave without Luke.

And then, the branches to his left move and there it is. The monster that’s taken Luke away from him.

~

Michael sits up, the covers falling down and exposing his pale chest to the darkness surrounding him. His heart is beating just as hard and fast as it was in the dream and he can’t do anything to stop the sob escaping from his lips. Within a minute he’s full on crying, sitting in the middle of the bed hugging a pillow as he cries harder than he’s done in...in a year.

It doesn’t take long for his mother to appear next to him on the bed, whispering softly as she pulls him closer, running her fingers through his dyed black hair. It’s been like this every year since he was eleven, with the nightmares slightly different from time to time. It was more common when he was younger but no matter how old he gets, no matter how much he can take when he’s awake, he always wakes up early in the morning on the day it happened, crying so hard he almost throws up. And every year it feels worse than before, with the nightmares getting more and more vivid and detailed, every year the face of the blonde gets more and more blurry.

His mother stays with him until he falls asleep again, something that usually never happens sooner than five in the morning, and then she goes to get ready for work, making sure to call Michael’s school first to let them know he’s sick.

When Michael wakes up, curled up under the cover with the pillow still in his arms, he lays there blaming himself, wishing he hadn’t suggested they’d explore the forest on their day off from school, wishing he would have held Luke’s hand, wishing he’d been the one to run ahead, wishing Luke would be there with him, safe and sound.

He then falls asleep again and the next day he goes to school, acting as if nothing’s wrong, pretending he faked sick simply to get out of school for a day.

~

“Oi, Michael!” Michael looks up from his guitar, pushing the fringe out of his face. A smiling Ashton sits down next to him, poking his cheek. “where’ve you been? Why didn’t you come to the cafeteria?”