Henry and the Bad Girl - Pt 1 (23)

Start from the beginning

Henry stepped forward, "Okay, well don't worry, man, we'll find the Wall Dogs and we'll stop them,"

Charlotte and Maebel followed Henry.

"But they say there's a bunch of them," Charlotte informed, "How are we going to stop them all?"

"Easy," Ray shrugged, "You want to kill a snake, what do you do?"

"Get a shotgun," Maebel stared blankly at the ground, receiving weird looks from her companions.

"No, jeez," Ray stood, "I meant, to stop the whole gang, we just have to capture the leader of the gang,"

"Ah," the three moaned in unison.

The three teens stood watching Ray as he pulled up something on his tablet. A picture of a man in goofy clothing.

"There," Ray grumbled.

"Yikes," Charlotte hissed.

"Who's that?" Henry questioned.

"Van Del," Ray typed, "Watch,"

Ray swiped up on the picture, sending it to the monitor, and began to play a video.

"I am Van Del," the man informed,"Pack leader of the Wall Dogs. We are not criminals. We are not animals. We are artists, and these," he picked up two cans of spray paint, "These are our weapons of artistic destruction," he pushed the can closer to the camera menacingly, "Prepare to be sprayed!"

Suddenly, a woman's voice interrupted his speech.

"Vanny!" The woman yelled, "You left your wet laundry in the washing machine!"

"I'll move it in a minute, mom," Van Del huffed and turned to face something behind the camera, "Edit that part out,"

"Sure, no problem," a random voice replied.

Ray paused the video and turned to face the kids.

"Alright," Henry nodded, "We know he has a mother and a lazy editor,"

Maebel sighed and shook her head, looking back up to the video timestamp; April 14th. 

"Hey, Maebel," Henry placed a hand on her tricep, giving her a concerned look.

The group had dispersed. Ray, getting food, Charlotte, researching criminals, and Maebel, staring blankly at the monitor.

"Yeah, Hen?" Maebel snapped out of her trace, smiling at her boyfriend.

Henry's eyebrows furrowed, "Are you okay?"

Maebel nodded, "Yeah, why wouldn't I be?"

Henry shrugged with a chuckle, "Cause you were spacing out pretty hard,"

"Oh, I'm fine, thanks for checking up on me," she grinned, "I have to go do homework. I'll text you later." 

She jumped up and landed a kiss on his cheek.

"Okay, good luck," Henry giggled and watched her walk away overflowing with giddiness.

Ray's eyes followed her with such pity.

***

Maebel

Slowly standing from my crouching area at Big Putts, I sigh. I never signed up to be the watch on missions. I was hiding behind the admissions desk watching for any activity, but with my luck, I got nothing. My mind faded into nothing as I leaned against the counter. So many thoughts swirled through my mind at once, none stayed besides one; my dad. His birthday was a week away. Him being at prison, forcing him not to be able to see me was heart shattering. Playing super villain got to him, disappearing from my life.