"You know you like it," Harry teased, grinning at Draco's incredulous look.

"Shouldn't you be scared?" Draco asked quietly, frowning.

"I am. I'm terrified."

"You're not acting like it."

Harry rested his head on Draco's shoulder and thought about it for a long while. "I don't want to be scared," he said finally. "I want this to just be... the last night before going home just like any other last night. Exams are finished, most people are back at the common room having a party."

"You want to go to the party?"

"I want to stay here with you and forget that all of that and all of what's coming isn't real."

"Oi, Harry, you frustrate me. You cut yourself so that you don't forget it's real, you run away because you're scared it's real, and now you want to forget it. I don't understand."

"Just...just go with it? Please, Draco? I just... if this was your last night on earth, would you want to spend it being scared?"

"I suppose not. But it's not your last night on earth."

"It's the last one that matters. It's the last one I get to spend with you."

Draco turned towards him, looking stern. "I told you, Harry. I'll be there. In a week."

"Mmhmm," Harry murmured.

"You don't believe me."

"Listen," Harry said suddenly, lifting his head. "Are you listening? Right. You know how I always say that when you kiss me, I forget everything I'm scared of?"

"...Yeah?"

Harry kissed him, a sweet, pleading sort of kiss, aching and soft and sort of bittersweet. "There," he whispered, kissing the corner of Draco's lips. "Have you forgotten everything?"

"No," Draco replied quietly, voice cracking a bit. "But I guess I could -"

He kissed him again, firmer this time, almost a punishment but more of a reward, really, a bribe. Shut up, Draco, and I'll kiss you again... "Forget yet?" Harry asked, his voice husky.

"Umm," Draco replied, distracted.

Harry grinned. "C'mon, then," he said, getting to his feet and pulling Draco up.

"What? Where are we going?"

"Swimming! What else did you invite me down here for if not because you wanted to get all my clothes off and get me in the lake?"

"Harry, it's the middle of the afternoon! People will see!"

Harry kissed him and whispered against his lips. "Do what I say, Draco? Just for today. Forget everything and be mine, just for today."

"For forever," Draco replied instantly, and then he flushed a little. Harry grinned again and started tugging at Draco's trousers.

Laughing helplessly, Draco started taking off his clothes, and Harry giggled and it was a race to see who could get it done first. Snickering and racing towards the end of the dock, they leapt in at the same time, water swallowing them both, the sudden shock of it startling the giant squid from her nap and sending her flinching across the lake to the quieter side, quite put out at the intrusion.

Draco seemed to have taken his promise seriously, and there were only a few moments when a shadow seemed to pass over his eyes and he'd reach out and touch Harry, as if making sure he was still there.

As for Harry, a forceful sort of playfulness had fallen over him. He refused to think of anything except the water and the perfect summer day and Draco. They swam together and laughed together, splashing each other and every now and again, unable to keep from kissing each other, teasing little brushes of mouths and lips and tongues that did more to add to the playfulness than to change it into anything else, anything as frightening as that day in the field.

Dusk fell, and if anyone had been outside, they were gone by now, and the grounds belonged to Harry, Draco, and the crickets and fireflies.

Hours later, they lay on their pier, dressed only in their trousers, Harry's head resting on Draco's stomach, staring thoughtfully up at the sky.

Harry cocked his head and pursed his lips, narrowing his eyes. "Draco?"

"Yeah?"

He rolled, so that he was looking up at Draco, his ear pressed to the other boy's chest. "What was the best day of your whole life?"

Draco started playing with his hair, looking thoughtful. "You want me to pick just one day?" he asked.

"Just one."

"I don't think I can pick a day that was the best of my life. I can tell you a few moments that were the happiest of my whole life, but they've all got these flip sides to them, like coins. It's like there's a balance, and the happiest moments have to be quickly followed by the saddest, to keep everything equal."

Harry considered this for a moment and then said, "Alright then. Your happiest moment."

"When I made Seeker for my team."

"And the flipside?"

"When you beat me the first time. And every time after."

Harry smirked a little and then, at Draco's glare, tried to look contrite. "Sorry."

"Tell me one of your happiest moments."

Harry bit his lip in thought. "When Sirius told me I could go live with him instead of going home with the Dursleys."

"Flipside?"

"When Wormtail escaped and Sirius had to hide again. Tell me another of yours."

"What? I already told you -"

"Tell me another," Harry pleaded, making his eyes go wide. "Please, Draco?"

"Prat," Draco said with a sigh. Then he smiled ruefully. "Cute one, at that. Fine. Another. The first time I kissed you?"

Harry smiled, a fleeting, sweet smile. "And the flipside?"

Draco cleared his throat and glanced away. Then he turned onto his side, so that Harry slipped off his chest, his head then pillowed on Draco's arm, their faces very close. "How could there be a flipside to that?"

But there was, Harry knew. Because right after that, Harry had told him that he was going to die.

Their eyes met and held for a long moment, solemnly, and Harry smiled sadly. "Thank you," he whispered, because Draco was playing along.

Draco touched his face and smiled, a soft, strange smile, the kind Harry would have thought him incapable of only weeks before. "Tell me another," Draco commanded, touching the tip of Harry's nose.

"Today?"

And Draco kissed him and neither bothered to think what the flipside of that one could possibly be.