“I wonder where they are. You want to call?”

Houssam nodded.

“Yeah, I’ll call Amir.”

He pulled out his phone, and pressed a few buttons, before putting it up to his ear. As Hana heard the phone began to ring, she took the time to study him. It was a new look getting used to his short hair. It suited his face well, you could see his cheekbones and jaw better. But at the same time she loved his long locks.

Not that she had a claim on him anymore.

At least until she explained things to him.

And who knew how he would take it.

“Hello? Amir bro where are you!?” Houssam exclaimed, and he listened to Amir speak for a second before rolling his eyes at Hana. “Well tell Yusra that the dishes can wait when you are having a baby! Okay. Yeah Hana is here with me. Alright. Mhmm. See you in a minute. Bye.”

“Are they almost here?”

Houssam nodded.

“A minute away.”

“What took them so long?”

“I was right. She paused to wash the dishes.”

Hana laughed and reached up to fix the pin in her scarf. His eyes followed her hands, and when they landed on her left hand finger, he scowled, and turned away from her.

“Houssam. I have to tell you something.” she said quietly, but he put up a hand to stop her.

“No. I don’t want to talk about this.”

“But we have to. Please just let me explain.”

He turned to look at her sharply.

“Oh yeah the last thing I need to hear is how I left and it’s all my fault and you couldn’t wait for me any longer. Even though it has only been six months not six years!”

“Houssam.”

“No Hana. You’re engaged to another man. We shouldn’t even be sitting here right now. In fact,” he paused to stand up, “I’m going to go wait outside.”

“What the waiting room isn’t big enough for you to get away from me?” she asked sarcastically, annoyed that he wouldn’t listen to her and he looked at her for a second before taking a seat across the room. She stared at him in disbelief, but he avoided her gaze, picking up a magazine and staring at it instead.

They sat like that for another few minutes before Houssam’s mom and Amir’s mom rushed into the room.

“Ya Allah are we late!?” Houssam’s mom asked frantically.

“We tried to get here as soon as possible!” Amir’s mom added, and Houssam stood up, putting an arm around his mom.

“No they aren’t here yet.”

His mom’s eyes widened.

“What!? Well where are they?!”

“We are here Mama calm down.” Came Amir’s voice, and Hana turned to see Amir holding Kareem, and a nurse wheeling Yusra in a wheelchair. She was holding her stomach and breathing quickly in and out, but she managed to give a smile to her mom before letting out a shriek.

“Oh my God! Amir!” she exclaimed, and Hana stood up at the agonized look on Amir’s face.

“Here let me take him.” She said taking the child.

“Khaltu Hana!” Kareem exclaimed, throwing his arms around her neck and she smiled. Sometimes she couldn’t believe how advanced his speech had become after only six months. He was practically fluent in both English and Arabic, though he still had a baby voice which made things cuter.