Chapter 13: Distractions

Start from the beginning

Lin had slowly dissected the man inch by inch until all that remained was his head attached to his central body. Blood oozed from every inch of this corpse as there wasn't a spot that Lin didn't insert her blades in.

With barely anything left to cut, Lin walked up toOwl's lifeless body as it slowly tried to regenerate itself.

"I know you can heal yourself from those wounds, but I highly doubt you can heal fast enough to fight me." Lin stated.

Hearing the sense of victory spill from her lips, Owl begins to laugh.

Lin was perplexed as to why the enemy in front of her had a cocky attitude, especially after groveling in defeat. What freaked Lin out the most was how horribly timed and sinister the laughter was.

"What's so funny?" Lin inquired.

Owl continued to laugh harder and harder as the chief of police stood petrified. Behind the masked Lin could see Owl's mouth and eyelids widen as his pupils shrunk. Lin gauges the reasoning behind Owl's laughter, but only senses a malevolent sensation coursing through her veins. Lin knew Owl's chuckle had malice behind it but was too ineligible to present the bigger picture. Finally giving in to the madness, Lin shoves her right blade into Owl's heart as she demands an answer.

"Why are you laughing!" Lin screamed.

With one of Lin's swords puncturing his heart, Owl barfed a liter of blood and began coughing. Catching his breath, he laughs once more as he gives a response.

"Heheheh, I'm just stalling," Owl claimed.

"For what?" Lin inquired.

Lin's question didn't need answering as the walls of ice started to break. Owl released his cage, no longer trapping Lin within the confines of his icy prison. However, this didn't set Lin free from danger. Just as the ice broke down, Lin noticed Kuvira being carried by her arms by Fox. Lin couldn't believe her eyes as her niece had been defeated by the masked villain. While Lin was worried for her niece, what daunted her as Fox's appearance.

Author's note: Fox looks like this but with a fox mask on

Still wearing the mask, Fox's entire appearance seemed to change. In contrast to her brown skin and black hair, her skin was completely pale with her hair white as the snow permeated around her. With every step she took, the ground within a meter of a distance turned frozen and brittle.

Each step the masked figure took only weakened the ground, turning it as flimsy as origami paper. Just by holding Kuvira, the metal bender started to shiver as her arm started to freeze. Now with a rage filling in her eyes, Fox pulled her hand as far as she could and slammed her hand against Kuvira's frozen arm. This caused Kuvira's fragile limb to shatter into a million pieces. The pain was worse than anything she felt and blood didn't secrete from her wound.

With the area of impact being too cold, blood was incapable of oozing out.

Judging from Lin's demeanor alone, the dread of losing another family member consumed her fighting spirit. Dropping Kuvira towards the side, Fox began throwing projectiles towards the bladed women. Lin managed to dodge these incoming missiles as the shards hit the trees behind her instead. Turning her head back, Lin noticed the shards continuing to freeze everything within its surrounding. With the fragments hitting wood, the bark turned frail as it began collapsing onto itself due to the ice bullets weakening the plant's foundations.